FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX media mangement chaos (?)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Guerreiro
FCPX media mangement chaos (?)
on May 1, 2013 at 7:46:07 am

Hi. Ever since I switched to FCPX (which was pretty soon after it came out) I have noticed that at least in my experience, I get senseless error messages in what regards missing clips. Although this is not seriously affecting my projects, it is very annoying having the ! marks all the time and not knowing if they are a real missing file or just another senseless warning. A specific example: I have a 1876 clip event which is media for a finished fim. The film is ok, it is finished and broadcasted on Portuguese television, no clips are missing but on the project browser, the ! mark of missing files appears. If I do a reconnect project clip, the missing clip it shows me is a clip that is not even a part of this film although at sometime arround the clip was in the default event browser for the project but never went into the timeline. Even if it had been at one time in the timeline, I had deleted it from the timeline, it is not a part of the final project so why on earth would it report missing if I deleted it from the Event?!!! This is only a specific example. The Event itself reports 16 missing clips when I do a reconnect Event clips, has the ! mark on the icon but I scroll through the browser and no RED ALERT clips show. This is very frustrating even if it's not affecting output and final projects as I have to spend hours doublechecking and going through the 1876 clips just to make sure.

Anyone with the same problem? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks a lot.

PS: one could at least have a "Forget Clips" checkbox... I know those clips are not in the film, they are not supposed to be in the event any more, so I would override FCPX's will

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX media mangement chaos (?)
on May 1, 2013 at 12:11:46 pm

If you set the event browser view to show "all clips", do you see any offline clips that need to be relinked?

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
Re: FCPX media mangement chaos (?)
on May 1, 2013 at 5:52:13 pm

I was having this problem for a while too. I'm editing a feature film and at one point had a sort of messy situation where there were semi-duplicate events, some on different drives so that that FCPX was linking all over the place, and sometimes showing multiple copies of things.

Few months ago I reimported everything into 3 clean events on a single drive and since then I haven't had any problems.

A simple way to do this without re-importing everything would be to plug in a clean external drive and from within FCPX copy the project to that drive. When you do so select the option that also copies all associated events.

When you first do this FCPX will only create links, but if you then go to Event Library, highlight the events on your new drive, and go to File and select Organize Event Files, it will replace all the links with original media.

That will give you a totally clean drive with clean project and event folders.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]