FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 'The document “CurrentVersion.fcpevent” could not be opened

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter fraser
FCP X 'The document “CurrentVersion.fcpevent” could not be opened
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:15:07 pm

I'm using the trial FCP X. I saved a CurrentVersion.fcpevent on another mac with another trial copy. I'm trying to open it on a second mac from an external HD but I just get 'The document “CurrentVersion.fcpevent” could not be opened' and a command to open it in FCP X. I can't see how to open it in FCP X. When I move the files to the internal HD it doesn't make a difference. When FCP X opens it doesn't find them and just creates a new event.

The files I'm trying to open are: CurrentVersion.fcpevent and CurrentVersion.fcpproject. Can anyone help? I'm at the the Toronto doc fest and I need to access the files!

Return to posts index

John Godwin
Re: FCP X 'The document “CurrentVersion.fcpevent” could not be opened
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:35:27 pm

Those files need to be in the FCP Events and Projects folders for the directory structure to work. Are they?

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Peter fraser
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:52:29 pm

I put the current event in a final Cut Pro Events folder and the project in a final cut pro projects folder.

What is the correct directory structure?

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:24:25 pm

I'm not at my computer. I'd suggest this:

Make a new event and a new project in FCPX.

Close FCPX.

Copy your files you're trying to open into the respective event and project you just made, replacing the ones FCPX just created.

Reopen FCPX.

That's the best I've got, good luck.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Peter fraser
on Apr 30, 2013 at 4:51:18 pm

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:15:39 pm

Did it work? Hope so ...

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Peter fraser
on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:38:35 pm

Yes I think so, thank you.

Return to posts index

Fred Vanderpoel
on May 1, 2013 at 12:38:28 am

I posted the same problem. I'll try this solution as well, thanks!

Return to posts index

Gregory Plotkin
on Mar 4, 2014 at 6:21:27 pm

John -

You're a genius!

Thank you for your simple solutuion.

I had a similar problem and your solution saved me about 10 hours of work (which is a whole week for me -- I take a lot of breaks :)

So if anyone has this problem it works like a charm.

I'm adding this post, because there are lots of older posts and video tutorials that don't work any more as FCPX has been updated a few times. I hope this is helpful...

My situation was this:

I was editing a project on my 2012 MacBookPro using FCPX.

I updated the operating system to Maverick (on March 3, 2014)

Today (March-4-2014) I opened FCPX and the Library was empty and the project was gone.

When I located the project in the default folder and clicked it, a Warning Window opened that said, 'The document "20140302-103654-EST.fcpevent" could not be opened. Open documents from within Final Cut Pro.'

There wasn't any way (that I could find) to open the project from the File Menu in FCPX anymore for some reason.

I thought I would have to restart the whole project and then I found John's post (thanks again).

So I created a new EVENT and a new PROJECT (using the same name). I copied the name [CTRL+C]

I closed FCPX

Then I pasted the name in Spotlight and the 2 new Folders FCPX created showed-up (one folder for the EVENT and one folder for the PROJECT)

I opened them one at a time. Selected the project file and the 3 folders FCPX created (Backups, Original Media and Render Files), Deleted them. Then I selected the those files from my original Event and moved them to replace the ones I just deleted

NOTE: I also emptied the trash, not sure if it was necessary though -- Also, the option to copy wasn't available, so you have to move the files.

Then I repeated the process for the PROJECT Folder.

I opened FCPX and to my amazement all the files were there as well as the project and all the elements in the timeline.

Thank you John (and thank you Jesus :-D)

Return to posts index

Nathan Cantleberry
on Aug 20, 2014 at 11:17:00 pm

8hrs of work/searching later, your advice/walking through creating a new event and project worked! A thousand thanks, thought all was lost!

-n8

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]