FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with funky multicam footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les Kaye
Working with funky multicam footage
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:13:27 am

First FCPx project. Five different cameras, ALL different formats, not only no TC, but no continuous TC - some cameras were stopping and starting at different point. Some didn't

Can someone point me in the right direction, or supply a link on what needs to be done to set this up correctly?

Thanks!
-LK

http://www.leskaye.net

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Working with funky multicam footage
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:21:35 am

Did all your cameras record sound?

X has a bunch of ways to auto sync in multi-cam - and it also has the ability to have you do manual sync. '

It's default auto sync modes use audio waveforms as the first order sync content., that's why I'm asking about your sound tracks.

Let us know how things were recorded and we can help you better.

The frame rates won't necessarily matter, but if some of the cameras have squirly compression schemes (lots of predictive verses actual frames) the necessary math to transcode them on the fly can bod things down. So you might start by letting X transcode all the clips to ProRes (Make Optimized Media) in the import window - just to get everything in one, consistent frame base.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:05:17 am

Thanks Bill. Maybe the subject should be: "FCPx newbie working with funky multicam..." I'm an experienced FCP and Avid editor, just not with FCPx

So yes, all clips have sound, and yes, I know that x will use audio to sync. Each camera had its own folder of clips, and each folder was imported into FCPx as a keyword collection. The import settings were to create proxy media, and "Create optimized media for multicam" is checked.

My concern is when I have one camera that shot three 45 min clips, and several other cameras that may have shot 10 or 20 separate clips equaling the same 3x45 min duration. Will autosync line all the clips up, so it would look something like this:

Long synced clip __________________________________________________

Separate synced clip ________fill__fill_____________________fill____________

I guess, the question is: Now what?
-LK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2013 at 10:19:36 am

Assign an angle to all appropriate clips from a certain camera.

Select all of the clips from all angles.

Right click and choose to create a multiclip.

Check the box to use audio and choose to use canera angles in the Angle assembly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:08:52 pm

My best recommendation is to buy the Ripple Training multi-cam course! I did and its awesome! They show you every possible way. I did a live rock video with 2 DSLRs, a gopro, and an HDV cam and it worked out great (even if the performance wasn't the best). Watch it here:

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:10:30 pm

Oh...and they lost the live audio from the board so I had to use the studio track...that worked great! Synced with audio perfectly.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
on May 5, 2013 at 3:30:03 am

Thanks for all the replies. Since I don't have an iPad, does anyone know if there's a version of Ripple Training's Multicam course available for OSx or an iPhone? Alternative choices are also appreciated.

TIA,
-LK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]