FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't open files in Final Cut Pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Vanderpoel
Can't open files in Final Cut Pro X
on Apr 30, 2013 at 12:31:04 am

Hi,
I noticed my Final Cut Pro on my Mac slowing down and found I was saving my files to the Events folder stored under movies on the Mac instead of to a hard drive. So I transfered both the Events folder and the Projects folder from the Movies file on the Mac to one of my hard drives and eliminated the Movies content to the trash.

Now Final Cut X does not recognize either Events or Projects files.
The files are greyed out and I can't open these files from within Final Cut nor directly.
Does anyone know of a fix?
Greatly appreciated!
Thx,
Fred

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Can't open files in Final Cut Pro X
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:07:38 am

You need to be sure to use the correct folder structure for FCPX to be able to read the events and project. In your External HD you need to to have a Final Cut Events and a Final Cut Projects folder where your event and Project folders are located, like this:

External Drive/Final Cut Events/Event

External Drive/Final Cut Projects/ Project

Once you open FCPX it should recognize the external drive and the Events and Projects. You don't need to re-import anything

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Fred Vanderpoel
on May 1, 2013 at 2:52:00 pm

Hi, Nikolas,
since I have both files on "Movies" and on my external drive, should I eliminate the copies on "Movies"?
Thx,
Fred

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 1, 2013 at 6:55:40 pm

Hi Fred,

yes, you should, if you have duplicate events with the same name FCPX will give you a warning that it can only open one. It is better to move things within the software. When duplicating (cmd + d) an event or project within X a window opens giving you several options of how and where you want it duplicated.

By default X automatically creates an Event in the movies folder, if you don't have a harddrive with an event connected or are using an empty drive.

I recommend you get Event Manager X, which will help you hide and load your Events and Projects, this is an option X does not have yet. For it to work smoothly it is important to hide older Events and Projects that are not needed. You can do this manually as well by creating a Final Cut Events NOT IN USE and a Final Cut Projects NOT IN USE folder to put your old events and projects in, this way X can't open them and you don't need to have everything loaded all the time, which really slows things down.

Nik

Return to posts index

Fred Vanderpoel
on May 1, 2013 at 10:41:20 pm

Hi Nikolas, this is really very helpful! I'm all over it and let you know the results. Right now, FC wants me to quit because it can't save events. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Fred Vanderpoel
on May 2, 2013 at 12:00:00 am

Hi Nikolas, you're a hero, Events Manager X did it! Great suggestion for the fix, thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 2, 2013 at 4:13:15 am

You're welcome:-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]