FORUMS: list search recent posts

DECKLINK HD EXTREME 3D recognized in FCP X but not outputting well

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
DECKLINK HD EXTREME 3D recognized in FCP X but not outputting well
on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:17:24 am

driver: desktop video 9.7.1

mac system setting: set default video standard lists a whole bunch of choices. We are shooting in Panasonic avc intra 1080i 60 but there is an option for 30p which is a little confusing but is the one I'm choosing in the cam's menu. But regardless lots of choices in mac system preferences.

In FCP X preferences under black magic I have one choice - 720x486@29.97 - regardless of the footage in FCP X and regardless of how I set Mac system preferences video standard.

The image on the Flanders LM 2140W looks like a low res image.

Any help?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: DECKLINK HD EXTREME 3D recognized in FCP X but not outputting well
on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:47:19 am

Is your FCPX project SD instead of HD? That's probably the issue.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 29, 2013 at 1:53:49 am

It wasn't but after rebooting it now is set at a flavor of HD that was the first clip that was highlighted in the event library. When I open a project in a different frame rate and resolution it does not allow me to switch. In FCP 7 I had a choice of what codec I wanted to display. Here it seems stuck on one auto setting at a time. Is there any way to fix this?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:08:24 am

Ok if i highlight a clip in a project or the event library and then change the mac's black magic system preference default video standard to match that clip, and then quit and reopen fcp x then the FCP X preference av output will match. Is this the dance I need to do? No way to manually set it in FCP X to match what I am outputting? It's not a big deal since FCP X loads pretty quick but it still feels like a bug.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 29, 2013 at 7:42:24 am

[Craig Alan] "When I open a project in a different frame rate and resolution it does not allow me to switch."

Ok, I think I understand your problem. I don't have a Decklink, I have a Kona, but they work kinda similarly.

FCPX has a simpler interface regarding video output than FCP7. You set your project up to output in a particular fashion, and match that with your settings in Decklink's version of "Control Panel". What happens then, is that FCPX locks in on that output and won't change it.

If you want to open another project with a different resolution, what you need to do is go to the Window menu and deselect AV Output. This will unlock the output and allow you to change the settings for your Decklink. Then reselect AV Output when you've made the change and you should be good to go.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 29, 2013 at 1:31:24 pm

Thanks Andy. I'll try it. Since so much of X is done in the event window before adding to project and since people do have different sources of video to work with, it would seem this is a needed update. However who knows what the new mac pro will be and I fear - or not - my pci cards will become obsolete.

craig

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Apr 30, 2013 at 11:18:45 am

Craig,

you probably just need to turn off your system and reconnect the Decklink. Then open Desktop Video and make sure it's set to HD

We had this problem a few weeks ago at Promiflash in Berlin with the mini Monitor. From one day to the next FCPx only showed the NTSC SD option, and while sound recording in Protools only the Speaker had an image on her monitor.

In our case we have it daisy changed from iMac connected to the Thunderbolt Apollo Audio Interface connected to the minimonitor connected to sdi-hdmi converters routed to 3 Monitors.

When we had that problem I shut everything down, diconnected the power on the sdi-hdmi converters, waited a few minutes, turned everything back on and everything was back to normal.

Nik

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 30, 2013 at 1:39:47 pm

When u say to to normal, can you pull down choice of codec in Fcp on the fly or do you need to set the codec in Mac BMW system preferences.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Apr 30, 2013 at 3:37:27 pm

You need to set the codec in the system preferences, and I think you only get one choice in FCPX... I'm at the Deutsche Welle right now in front of an Avid Newscutter, I'll be certain in about an hour once I'm home.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Apr 30, 2013 at 6:00:07 pm

On our X the only codec choice we get is the one set in the system preferences.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 1, 2013 at 6:17:09 am

Right. That's what i see too. Considering the current MacPro models are getting long in the tooth and that BM considers this card "legacy" I think this might remain as is. Strange considering in the other editing programs you can choose what format to output and FCP X looks like it offers this feature but does not. However i'm glad i got it working and the images look great on the Flanders' monitor. I will also add that the images look better on the FCP X viewer than they did on FCP 7 viewer. It is a lot closer to the broadcast monitor. It's brighter and the colors are slightly different but fairly close.

Return to posts index

Ivan Layme
on Oct 30, 2015 at 1:58:01 pm

I am having the same problem with my Decklink HD Extreme 3D. I upgraded to Yosemite was no longer functional. What can be done? Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]