FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorry, Newbie question. Can I open multiple projects at the same time? (i.e kind of like tabbed sequences)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dimitrios Papagiannis
Sorry, Newbie question. Can I open multiple projects at the same time? (i.e kind of like tabbed sequences)
on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:05:55 am

I would like to be able to easily go between projects so that I can cut and paste clips between them. I am hoping I don't have to close a project open another one copy and paste the clips I want then close it and open up the first one and past the clips into it.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: Sorry, Newbie question. Can I open multiple projects at the same time? (i.e kind of like tabbed sequences)
on Apr 28, 2013 at 6:05:45 am

No tabs, but multiple projects will stay active after you open them. CMD-{ and CMD-] to go between them. Or click-hold on the left and right triangles on the top left of the project and you'll see a list of open projects.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: Sorry, Newbie question. Can I open multiple projects at the same time? (i.e kind of like tabbed sequences)
on Apr 28, 2013 at 4:24:18 pm

Very useful tip. As long as I have used FCPX, there always seem to be tricks that I have missed.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 28, 2013 at 5:34:49 pm

And some people seem to get confused as to what projects are available in the lists. It works like a web browser. It's like a forward and back button of recently opened projects instead of web pages. So if you go back, back, back, back, and then go to the project library and open something, the 4 projects you just "backed up" through will now be removed from the forward list. And by the same means, you could have the same project appear multiple times in both the forward and back lists. It is exactly the same functionality as the forward and back buttons in safari (or any web browser). But safari has tabs.

Tabs would be a nice addition.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 28, 2013 at 8:08:25 pm

Thanks for that, Brett. I was never quite sure how it worked.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:20:49 am

Thank you. Works like a browser - nothing new to motor memorize. Easier than clicking and unclicking the film canister and the other projects to go back and forth between 2 or more related projects.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dimitrios Papagiannis
on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:31:30 am

Ok now I have that figured out however of course now I am wondering if there is a way to close any of the projects you now have opened up on the list?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:00:34 pm

They're not really open. They're just a list of recent projects you've opened. Like any other app, the data remains cached in RAM until it's needed for something else. So if you have enough memory they'll likely load very quick or instantly compared to a project you haven't opened recently.

Return to posts index

Dimitrios Papagiannis
on Apr 28, 2013 at 8:14:46 pm

Thanks gentlemen. Your insight and scholarly knowledge is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Apr 29, 2013 at 3:19:40 pm

Also look into the Compound Clip workflow- if you're looking for the tabbed sequences sort of equivalent from FCP7- that's a lot closer than working with multiple project timelines. http://www.geniusdv.com/news_and_tutorials/2011/11/compound_clips_and_nesti...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]