FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple ProRes 422 in FCPX, CinemaTools or Compressor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Özgür Akyıldız
Apple ProRes 422 in FCPX, CinemaTools or Compressor?
on Apr 27, 2013 at 10:16:04 pm

Hi again,

I guess the topic tells it all but is there a difference converting H.264 to Apple ProRes422 in FCPX (create an optimized media), Compressor or Cinema Tools? Pros and Cons etc.

Thank you in advance guys!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Apple ProRes 422 in FCPX, CinemaTools or Compressor?
on Apr 28, 2013 at 4:05:31 am

Less room for error in X. Plus it keeps track of the originals and all the metadata etc. When the project is done you could just dump the ProRes and only backup the h264 related to the final sequence. The PtoRes is just for (supposedly) better performance while editing, although I haven't seen any. But perhaps if you're editing on a lesser machine like a MacPro instead of an iMac, then it would be more visible. :) Sadly there is a lot of truth in that.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Apple ProRes 422 in FCPX, CinemaTools or Compressor?
on Apr 28, 2013 at 7:57:42 am

Plus, if you do it in FCPX, you can start working with the H.264 files right away. When the transcode has finished just keep working, it's already using the Prores files in the timeline.

FWIW, I definitely notice a difference in performance between Prores and H.264 (on my 2008 Mac Pro and 2010 17" i7 MBP), especially with Multicam clips. As Bret said, it is to be expected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]