Swapping projects between hard drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Swapping projects between hard drives
on Apr 27, 2013 at 8:41:19 am

Hey all,

I wondered if anyone has any thoughts about this:

I started working on a project at home with the event and project on my main RAID unit. I then needed to do some work on it whilst away so copied the event and project to portable FW drive. I then duplicated the project back to the RAID upon my return thru FCP X.

This week I again needed to work on the project whilst on the road, but by this time I had added various elements to the event. Whilst I eventually managed to get everything on the remote drive and linked, it wasn't a seamless process by any means.

I'd love to hear from anyone who's got a better idea? Presumably this is where sparse images would work well.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: Swapping projects between hard drives
on Apr 28, 2013 at 4:21:39 am

I actually use this very same workflow quite often. FCPX actually handles it better than anything else I have used in the past (FCP legacy, Premier).

Unless I am doing "group editing" on a project with multiple editors, I always choose for files to be copied to the event in preferences. I also occasionally choose File > Organize Event Files... to ensure that all my files are indeed held in the event.

Then if I need to move the project to another drive it is just a simple matter of moving the folder to another drive. You will never have any unlinked clips because they will always live in they event folder.

Does this make sense?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Apr 28, 2013 at 3:46:43 pm

So when you bring the video into the event with "copy files", then you end up with two copies of all the media, right?

This is one reason I generally turn OFF the copy files button, and just manage my media myself.

I see the ease of just having FCPX keep track of all the media files, because they just get dumped into one big event folder, but I'm still a bit anal, so I like to keep everything in separate folders so FCP just keeps links in the event folder.

I've tried closing FCPX, moving the files physically into the event folder in finder, and when FCPX reopens, the files are there, but that's clunky as well.

Seems like if the files already exist on your drive, there should be a way to move them into the event folder, like itunes now has "automatically add to itunes". Easy breezy, no extra copies of media.

Is there a way to do this already?

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Apr 28, 2013 at 9:42:20 pm

Hi Mark,

[Mark Morache] "So when you bring the video into the event with "copy files", then you end
up with two copies of all the media, right?"

Yes. But in my workflow as of right now. I am trying to standardize it a bit more but this is what I do:

- First all original media, stills, video, audio is copied onto a dedicated Media Archive Drive. I just buy bare drives and use a Esata "Toaster" Dive Dock. I shoot HDV every once and a while and if so I'll have FCP X create a camera archive on that drive. When I fill up the drive I increment the number and grab another drive.

- On the Media Drive I do a bit of organizing. All media is in a folder with the corresponding job number and then further organized into folders with shooting days such as 130427 and a description. If it is a complicated shoot I will further put those in folders for a scene, or location.

- In FCP, my media drive is a 8TB RAID 5, so on a smaller projects (<100 GB) I will create a sparse disk image and then import my media copying files to the event as well as folders as keyword collections. I store these in a "Final Cut Images" folder, again by job number.

For larger projects I determine if I will be "group editing" and if so, I have a Final Cut Media folder where I copy all the media, again by the job number appended with a "_O" which stands for original media. Then a Sparse Disk image is made for storing the event and project. The event is the job number appended with a "_E" and "_P" indicating that the original media is not held in the event. When importing I of course deselect copy to Event. This way another editor can connect to the RAID via gigabit ethernet, mount the Sparse Disk image and will have access to all the media.

For large projects that don't need to be shared, I won't create a sparse disk image, but will copy all media to the event. I won't append the job numbers with any letters and therefore I know that all media is held in the event.

Furthermore I have some projects live on portable drives, so I just plug in and edit on any machine. I also have a little app called "Folder Watcher" that syncs the Motion Templates folder my main edit station with my other Mac's as well as external drives.

This workflow ensures that I always have two copies of all my media, without it I wouldn't have a backup at all, plus I don't even need to think about where my media is stored as Final Cut handles it all. In the case of a larger project that needs to be shared among editors, it takes an extra step to copy the new folder of media from my Media Archive to my RAID, but since everything is marked by date it is a simple matter.

The larger projects I just don't move them. If I need to edit I use LogMeIn Pro, which lets me edit remotely with decent picture quality and sound. Otherwise, I have 3 Macs that I edit on and moving around projects is a breeze. Editing in FCP legacy for so long, I constantly lost files. And as you know the media manager barely worked.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]