FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to Resolve -ingest & proxies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
FCPX to Resolve -ingest & proxies
on Apr 27, 2013 at 1:40:51 am

As a one man operation I am trying to come up with a simple workflow for 4k media going from FCPX to Resolve

Can anyone suggest any mprovements to the following?

1 Create low res proxies manually using mpegstreamclip
2 Bring these proxies into FCPX without turning on auto proxies
3 Complete your edit with final sync sound and render any titles
4 Export XML to Resolve
5 Import in Resolve, do your grade and render final with sound and titles, swapping in original 4k files just before render

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX to Resolve -ingest & proxies
on Apr 27, 2013 at 12:27:48 pm

Which format and codec of 4K? RED, Sony, BMD, other?

1. Ingest native into FCP X
2. Generate proxies inside FCP X and edit
3. At end, swap to original/optimized in FCP X prefs
4. Export FCP XML
5. Import into Resolve, grade and render. You are working with the 4K original in Resolve. You DO NOT want to work with proxies at the grading stage.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Apr 27, 2013 at 1:38:07 pm

Other, Canon EOS 1DC, MJPEG

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 27, 2013 at 1:43:11 pm

Aah. I would use the same approach as I mentioned above. The native MJPEG files play in FCP X, but not very well.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 27, 2013 at 1:47:01 pm

Of course, another thing to consider... Unless you are doing something very exotic with the grade in Resolve, you can probably get the same results with the built in color tools in FCP X. If you did that, I'd suggest ingest with conversion to optimized (4K ProRes 4444 or HQ) plus proxies. Then you could grade using the proxies, which would translate well to the optimized.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:47:18 pm

Thanks Oliver!
One further question
If I wanted to do my color grading on a different workstation than the one I edit on (say a PC laptop), what would you suggest?
Ingest first in Resolve on the PC(letting Resolve create proxy media) and then exporting XML to FCPX to edit with proxy media?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 27, 2013 at 5:20:01 pm

[jim bachalo] "Ingest first in Resolve on the PC(letting Resolve create proxy media)"

The only issue by doing this, is that FCP X has no guarantee of links to the camera media should you need them. You are relying on Resolve to do the relink later.

Are you planning to grade before you edit or after? Obviously you can't edit using FCP X on a PC laptop. In any case, I have used Resolve to convert media without grading, but I haven't followed a path that would go Resolve proxy - FCPX edit - Resolve cam media. Seems unnecessary to me, since FCP X can generate the proxies, which are correctly tracked.

What is your reason for wanting to ingest first into Resolve? If you have the same media on a drive that can be read by both the Mac editing station and the Resolve grading station (PC) then you don't need to "ingest" anywhere. Simply import into FCP X and leave the files linked, but have FCP X generate proxies. You don't need the proxies with Resolve, since you want it to Relink to the camera files.

BTW - Does the 1DC write proper reel ID and SMPTE TC info into the MJPEG file?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Danny Holland
on Jul 9, 2013 at 10:25:57 pm

Hi Peter,

Curious if you have ever renamed files prior to doing an offline to online edit with Canon 1DC footage?

We would prefer to work in ProRes 422 1920X1080 and use a naming structure that helps identify where each clip is from.

I did some testing with both Resolve was able to reconform to the renamed original files from the proxies, I am just wondering if I am losing anything in the process...

Thanks for the thoughts.

Danny

Return to posts index

Tom Broadhurst
on Aug 26, 2013 at 4:34:55 am

Thanks dude great advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]