FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using the project Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Mena
Using the project Library
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:07:23 am

I've been using FCPX for a good time know. I love it yatta yatta yatta. But since I started keeping my timelines in Compound Clips I haven't needed to use the Project Library. Has anyone found a good use for this part of FCPX? Does anyone have an idea where Apple will go in future updates for the Project Library?

J

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Using the project Library
on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:06:24 am

[Jordan Mena] "Has anyone found a good use for this part of FCPX? Does anyone have an idea where Apple will go in future updates for the Project Library?"

Personally I really like the Project Library, I find it much easier to organize the bazillions of versions of all the cuts associated with an event without turning my events into FCP 7-like cluttered nightmares. :-)

That aside, my guess is that the Event/Project arrangement has something to do with some sort of future shared workflow. A "master" event shared by all with separate projects for each editor. Something like that maybe?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2013 at 4:51:26 pm

Projects also allow sharing in that you can send a Project + used media. This is harder to do with compound clips.

It also creates a backup of sorts since the Project is a separate file form the Event.

I usually do rough cuts in the compounds, and once I get closer to a presentable or final edit, I move to a Project.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 25, 2013 at 10:30:51 pm

I'm pretty much with Jeremy. I use compound clips for rough cuts, sub-projects and version snapshots.

I always have one project timeline that represents my 'final' edit i.e. what is going to be delivered to the client. If I'm editing say a narrative with scenes, each scene starts life as a compound clip and moves to the main project when I'm happy.

Otherwise, I'm editing in the project timeline and occasionally create a compound clip of the project as a snapshot for versioning.

Even though I create events for footage and one specifically for compound clips, I find the event library can get too cluttered. I much prefer having a single project timeline that I can find in seconds and I know is the current deliverable version.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]