FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slip 'n' Slide

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Loren Risker
Slip 'n' Slide
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:43:07 pm

Is there anyway to do a slip or slide with the keyboard only? I can get to the trim tool, and if I click the clip with the trim tool I can punch in the numbers, but I can't figure out how to get to the special trim selection from just they keyboard.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Neil Sinclair
Re: Slip 'n' Slide
on Apr 25, 2013 at 12:03:14 pm

Select T for trim, select shot in timeline ( +ALT for Slide) and use < & > to slip /slide
Use Shift <> for 10 frames increments

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Apr 25, 2013 at 3:40:40 pm

If I get what the OP was asking—that is ONLY using the keyboard to enter slide mode I have not found a way to do it.

One thing that is interesting is if you simply select a clip, by clicking or with c, and nudge it with > or < it does a slide but in "positing" mode, i.e. it leaves a gap. That could be very useful sometimes.

With that said, I have thought many times I couldn't do something in FCP X only to find later that FCPX could indeed to it. So I would keep experimenting. Sounds like great enhancement request.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:40:38 pm

If I get what the OP was asking—that is ONLY using the keyboard to enter slide mode I have not found a way to do it.

Exactly. I've been stumped on this one for awhile, I just can't find a way to get to that special trim selection mode without a click. I'll submit a feature request, thanks for the replies!

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Apr 25, 2013 at 7:44:03 pm

If you my experience there doesn't seem to be a way to get into slip OR slide MODE via the keyboard.

It really has to do with the fact that you need to select both left and right edit points of a clip, which can currently only be done with the trim tool and clicking or option clicking the cursor on the clip. So neither slip nor slide can be done via the keyboard.

Slide Mode:

Slip Mode:

However, there is a way to take an extra step to sorta pull off a SLIDE edit:

1. Switch to position tool with P
2. Move to the beginning of the clip you want to slide with up and down arrows or ; or '
3. For this example Nudge your clip left with < or > add Shift to make it 10 frames at once. A gap will be left after your clip.
4. Move your playhead to the right side of the gap clip.
5. Select both sides of that edit point with the backslash key (above the return key)
6. Move your playhead to the right side of the clip you slid.
7. Press Shift X to extend your edit.

PS. I can never remember which is slip and which is slide. Sorry if I got those switched, but I think you get the point.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Apr 25, 2013 at 7:45:48 pm

Ooops forgot Step 2a.

1. Switch to position tool with P
2. Move to the beginning of the clip you want to slide with up and down arrows or ; or '
2a. Select the clip by pressing C
3. For this example Nudge your clip left with < or > add Shift to make it 10 frames at once. A gap will be left after your clip.
4. Move your playhead to the right side of the gap clip.
5. Select both sides of that edit point with the backslash key (above the return key)
6. Move your playhead to the right side of the clip you slid.
7. Press Shift X to extend your edit.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]