FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX and Premiere 6 not happy sharing the same media on xsan

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Koby
FCPX and Premiere 6 not happy sharing the same media on xsan
on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:24:08 pm

Yesterday, one of our editors opened Premiere 6 wanting me to tell him about the changes that were made to Premiere in "next". This editor is primarily using fcpx at this point.

For footage, the editor loaded in a clip from a folder that contains clips that he is currently using in an fcpx project. We use san locations without copying media, so the media is centrally located on the san and in theory, available to all applications at the same time (the media is not housed in an fcpx event folder - just symbolic links).

We were doing this at 10:30 am or thereabouts. The editor went on to work on some other footage in fcpx and then opened the project using the footage we imported into premiere in the afternoon.

Most of the clips from the folder that Premiere was looking at were offline in fcpx. On attempting to reconnect, fcpx refused saying that clips used in a compound clip weren't long enough to reconnect. I inspected the files in the finder and noticed that the files had a modified stamp at 10:33 am and 10:38 am. Around the times that we imported the first clip and maybe closed premiere.

I went back to fcpx and moved the event with the compound clips to a new san location and then removed the san location. This in affect removes the compound clip references from fcpx after you restart. After the restart, I was able to reconnect the original clips in the "footage" event. However, when I brought back the moved compound clips, fcpx still refused to reconnect those clips in the compound with the message that the clips didn't have sufficient length. An inspection of the duration listed in the event browser compared to mediainfo and opening in QT7 shows the same duration in frames.

I have a number of questions. Some are probably better answered on a premiere forum.

1.) Has anyone encountered a situation where you can reconnect clips in an event, but the compound clips where the footage is used prevent you from doing it? When you remove the compound clips, were you able to reconnect the footage?

2.) What would premiere modify in a source file and why? Could it be shaving off audio or maybe some kind of frame rate conform?

3.) Has anyone else on a san attempted to share media between fcpx and premiere? FCP7 and fcpx present no problems like this I can confirm.

4.) How is premiere a non-destructive NLE if it does _anything_ at all to the media it uses?

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCPX and Premiere 6 not happy sharing the same media on xsan
on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:02:46 pm

Pr and Ae inject XMP metadata in to QT files, and there's options in the preferences to turn this off in both programs.

FCPX, for whatever reason, hates this. It used to knock render files loose in FCP7, which is annoying, but survivable.

QT Edit can remove the XMP data (from Digital Rebellion) and should allow you to reconnect in FCPX.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:12:38 pm

There was another thread about this with some additional clues for you but Jeremy is right on about the particulars:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/19057

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Apr 25, 2013 at 1:10:28 pm

Thanks James. Thanks Jeremy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]