FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPRO50 30p MXF to Apple HDV transcode instructions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Anderegg
DVCPRO50 30p MXF to Apple HDV transcode instructions
on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:46:04 am

I am a PC user, but now have a need to provide prerendered 720 60p Apple HDV files to a client.

I will be switching to a Mac with FCPX, and would like to know the best, and fastest way to render (export?) out these 720 60p files from my DVCPRO50 P2 30p MXF footage. Due to the slow access speeds of the USB 2.0 link to the camera, I will begin by dragging and dropping my contents and last clip files to a special ingest folder.

Once my P2 card is cloned into the new ingest folder, I simply wish to place a specific news story on the timeline based on date/time reference, and turn it into a single Apple HDV 720 60p 16Mbps file as quickly as possible.

Being totally unfamiliar with FCP, could someone post the exact process to handle this basic transcoding of multiple MXF files into a single HDV? And just to be clear, this is the Apple specific HDV codec, not the standard HDV version. My client needs ready to edit footage for breaking news stories. If h.264 MOV files would provide better quality at a similar bitrate, and be directly editable, I would be open to that recommendation from experienced users.

Thanks!

Paul

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
Re: DVCPRO50 30p MXF to Apple HDV transcode instructions
on Apr 24, 2013 at 5:07:52 am

Judging by the history of NLE development, companies will continue to leap frog each other, and we will be alternately ooohing and aaahing for awhile yet.

I'm guessing Apple is at work on their own Apple Anywhere (and multi-user) solution as we speak. I mean they've been in the cloud for awhile now so it's not really that big of a stretch.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 24, 2013 at 7:06:19 am

The simplest way would be to use Compressor to create a HDV preset for FCPX that matched the specs they need. Then it would just be a matter of laying your footage on the timeline and choosing your preset from the share menu inside Final Cut.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Paul Anderegg
on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:23:56 pm

Jeff, since I am currently not a FCP user, would I be able to "import from camera" the MXF files from the HDD folder directly onto the timeline without them having to be converted first? My main concern is not having to rerendering multiple times.

Paul

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 24, 2013 at 9:17:45 pm

It's been a while since I had to deal with MXF files but if i remember rightly you'll need to install a driver to get FCPX to handle them. Canon have one and I'll assume Panasonic would as well.

Either way you'll need to import the files to an event, then create a project from that event, then share using your compressor preset. FCPX will certainly want to copy the files to an event folder and probably want to optimise the files as well but that should be a background task so you won't have to wait for it to finish before you can start using the footage.

So the process would be.. import files to event, create new project, select files, hit the 'e' key to write the files to the timeline, share via your custom export preset.

That's about as fast as it gets with FCPX.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]