FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any way to eliminate sorting by date in a smart collection?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Mueller
Any way to eliminate sorting by date in a smart collection?
on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:28:35 pm

I'm extremely new to FCPX. I understand that Events are the way X organizes source media, but is there any way to organize shots in a smart collection that isn't broken down by date? I have a simple script shot over two days that is broken into scenes, but I can't order the scenes from 1-20 because it has them sorted by date first and foremost. Can I view them 1-20 in a smart collection without the shoot date categorization splitting them up?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Any way to eliminate sorting by date in a smart collection?
on Apr 22, 2013 at 9:03:54 pm

Probably the easiest is to switch to the index view in the Event Browser (the 4th icon from the left in the HUD bar that looks like a blue pill with three horizontal lines under it) that puts the Event Browser in its database "fields" view. Scroll over to the Content Created field - and click to highlight the header. Then the triangle lets you sort by ascending or descending view.

Bingo, your most (or least) recent clips are sorted to the top.

That's one easy way do do it, anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Eric Mueller
on Apr 22, 2013 at 9:15:11 pm

Thanks for the quick response Bill. I'm in list view and I'm trying to sort by clip name as opposed to creation date. When I sort by name, it still splits the result by creation date (each day with its own disclosure triangle). I'm looking to get one uninterrupted smart collection sorted by name.

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 22, 2013 at 9:35:23 pm

There's a cog icon drop-down just below the event library. Click, select "Group Clips by", select "none."

Hope that helps.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Eric Mueller
on Apr 23, 2013 at 1:30:46 am

That did it. Thanks Michael!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]