FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has anyone used backups for Final Cut Pro software?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignacio Holiday
Has anyone used backups for Final Cut Pro software?
on Apr 21, 2013 at 1:27:55 am

I'm looking for a way to set up my system to make hourly backups of my FCP projects, like Time Machine does with my hard drive. Has anyone used this "Backup for Final Cut Pro" software?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/backups-for-final-cut-pro/id586594646?mt=12

And is there a way to do this for free?

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
Re: Has anyone used backups for Final Cut Pro software?
on Apr 21, 2013 at 5:18:06 am

Carbon Copy Cloner can do hourly backups. And copy only modified files. And, archive whatever it's overwriting.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Matias Canelson
on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:49:06 am

I´m using Backuplist+

http://rdutoit.home.comcast.net/~rdutoit/pub/robsoft/pages/softw.html

It´s free, backups everything you need (and doesn´t backup what you don´t need), very customizable, and can do backups by X minutes/hours/days.

--
MatiasCanelson
http://www.canelson.com.ar

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
on May 1, 2013 at 8:50:42 pm

I had been wondering this myself, but forgot about it. I just set up an Automator action that seems like it will do what I need:
-----------------
1st Action:
Find all files that contain ".sparse" in the name that are inside of the "Project Files" folder (I keep projects and events in sparse images and link to the media that lives in my Capture Scratch--some habits die hard)

2nd Action:
Copy Finder Items

3rd Action:
Add Date or Time (should give me an Autosave Vault-like list of files)
------------
Then just save it as a Calendar Alarm and you can schedule it as often as you like

Like I said, I just tried this, so no guarantees, but I think it should be better than nothing!

EDIT: Also, once you do it the first time, it looks like you can add a "last modified today" to the find action so it will just copy the images that have been modified

2 x3Ghz Quad MacPro
9 GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.5.5
QT 7.5.5
FCP 6.0.5
AJA Kona 3 (6.0.1 drivers)
G-Speed XL 12 RAID

Return to posts index

John Hartwell
on Jun 27, 2013 at 7:24:31 pm

I helped Nick with beta testing, so I'll admit I'm a fan. Rather than speaking to the program itself, let me just say that Nick is great with customer support, especially ideas for improvement. I think you'll be very happy.

Return to posts index

Nick Pisarro, Jr.
on May 19, 2013 at 6:45:13 pm

Actually I have. I wrote the program!

Some of the advantages of it are:

1) It knows the FCP X file structure so it know what to back up. It only scans your FCP X files, not your whole disk, so it is fast. When Time Machine kicks off, it can be quite bothersome.

2) It does incremental backups. With Carbon Copy Cloner and other such utilities you can only restore to your last save.

3) You can do very frequent backups, every few minutes, while you are editing, so if you screw up, you can recover easily. It only copies changed files. You can label backups.

4) You can select a date and individual project or event to restore.

4) It only $18 US! Restore once and it has paid for itself many times over. 4 & 1/2 stars! Great support! You'll like it!

Search for "Backup Strategies for Users of Final Cut Pro X" for my white paper on the subject.

NickP

Return to posts index

Lee Faulkner
on Jun 27, 2013 at 5:54:32 pm

I'm using it!!

I think it's awesome .... makes me feel very confident, though I haven't had to use it in anger yet. Of course I've done a couple of test restores .. all worked as expected.

I also tried it backing up to (fast) NAS ... ( which FCP X can't edit off) and it seemed to be fine.

Buy it!

Lee

Return to posts index

Michael Goodin
on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:55:33 pm

Great program, but I am having trouble working out how to backup projects. My projects are on the root directory on my mac, yet the program wont let me back them up... help, please!!

Return to posts index

Nick Pisarro, Jr.
on Aug 21, 2013 at 8:52:38 pm

FCP X expects root projects to be in your Movies folder, at least that has been my experience. That is where Backups for FCP expects to find them. Are you moving them to the root level manually?

If you want to tuck your projects away you might want to use Event Manager X to "hide" them. Backups for FCP will back up projects "hidden" by Event Manager X.

If you'd like to discuss this more with me, e-mail support at NP Associates LLC dot com.

NickP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]