FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colorista style 3-way color wheels and curves in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Culbertson
Colorista style 3-way color wheels and curves in FCPX?
on Apr 20, 2013 at 6:55:33 pm

What are my options for getting Colorista style 3-way color wheels and curves, with secondaries, in FCPX? Technicolor Cinestyle... what else?

Or a way of translating RGB values from 3-way color wheels into FCPX's CC model. Or a tutorial that helps me to translate my understanding of 3-way color wheels into FCPX's color panel. I have a DP who likes to throw Colorista values at me (and I am not a CC expert).

Also, an equivalent to the Colorista color key secondary combined with it's "pop" functionality.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Colorista style 3-way color wheels and curves in FCPX?
on Apr 20, 2013 at 7:35:14 pm

Have you tried Magic Bullet Looks? Works awesome in Legacy and X!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Apr 20, 2013 at 7:58:07 pm

[Tony Brittan] "Have you tried Magic Bullet Looks? Works awesome in Legacy and X!"

Feeling a bit embarrassed, I just noticed that most of the Colorista functionality is in Looks. And Kosmo gives me the pop as a secondary functionality I need.

If only they had a keyed secondary as an option in MB Looks...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 20, 2013 at 7:54:02 pm

It kinda depends on what you need and how deep your pockets are.

The X engineering team moved away from traditional color wheels to the new color board - while sinultaneously jettsoning Quicktime - means there's going to be a significant lag before there are too many options that bridge between old and new systems that work in entirely different ways.

As I understand it, X is based on a lot more mathematical precision than Legacy (all 32-poin float and all) so a lot of the tools were changed as well.

A full blown DiVinci Resolve system will give you all the color control you'd probably ever need.

And if that doent's excite you, Quantel's Pablo Rio is downright amazing for multi-layer color correction on up to 4k sources (with announced migration to handle 8k already announced) - particularly when you combine it with one of the modern steroid fueled bleeding edge cards like the AJA Corvid Ultra or the NVidia Kepler K20 Tesla line.

But none of these are cheap solutions and work as exterior processes, rather than directly "within" X.

Horses for courses.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Apr 20, 2013 at 8:00:44 pm

Honestly, I am perfectly happy with FCPX's built in color correction for most of the things I work on. If I really need a higher end solution there is usually budget to send out to a colorist.

I just wanted the ability to dial in precise RGB values when I get a picky DP looking over my shoulder...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]