FORUMS: list search recent posts

QuickTips: When Title Fonts Go Missing & FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
T. Payton
QuickTips: When Title Fonts Go Missing & FCP X
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:38:05 am

I wanted to pass on a discovery I made today. I opened up a year old project to make a DCP for a film festival (I was honored to tell you the truth) and when I did, any amount of excitement was gone when I discovered that all my FCP titles had reverted to Helvetica. Problem was I didn't even remember what font I used, and it appeared that FCP had changed all my fonts.

After a bit of investigation, it turns out that FCP X didn't discard the font information, it just temporarily showed them as Helvetica!

In my case I am running Font Agent Pro for my font management and I have auto activation enabled. But FCP X only refreshes its fonts list upon launch. When FCP X called for the font, Font Agent activated it but FCP X didn't "see" it until it was relaunched. When I relaunched all my fonts were there.

So if you find all your title have been "Helvetica'd". Don't fret, quit FCP, activate your font and you should be okay.

Since I made that project a year ago I have gotten in the habit of creating a Compound Clip that store project notes and put it in its own Keyword Collection in case I do have a missing font. Like this:

BTW. If this has happened to you please drop Apple a note and request a warning for anything missing when a project is opened. Kinda like they have in every other Apple product. :)

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: QuickTips: When Title Fonts Go Missing & FCP X
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:49:47 am

On a separate note - How do you use all those ratings keywords? Is that like a template for you that you drag into new events?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:20:15 am

[Michael Garber] "On a separate note - How do you use all those ratings keywords? Is that like a template for you that you drag into new events?"

Exactly. It was something I started a while back. I was trying to figure out a way to create a keyword template that I could import as needed. I just never finished it. But thanks for mentioning it as I just did. I'll post another QuickTip here to the forums.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:41:15 am

As promised those Keywords from this OP and a little writeup on efficiently using Keyword Event Templates.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/19586

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:50:36 am

I don't think legacy mentions missing fonts either.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Apr 19, 2013 at 4:41:08 am

[T. Payton] "Since I made that project a year ago I have gotten in the habit of creating a Compound Clip that store project notes and put it in its own Keyword Collection in case I do have a missing font. Like this:"

Any reason not to use the notes field (as an alternative) in the Project library, properties tab, for this kind of archival info?

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Apr 19, 2013 at 5:06:22 am

Frankly I never thought of it. However for short timelines (I work in advertising) I rarely edit in projects. Mostly in compound clips.

Also, I'm in the habit of making extensive project notes inside compound clips. For example a todo list or jot down some ideas on how I'm going to organize a project. If it is in a compound clip I can throw it up on my client monitor so everyone can see. I can ever dress up my notes with my company logo, etc. it makes my editing session feel that much more professional, which also tends to make me work more wholeheartedly.

We also have other job related documents that I will scan as a PDF and drop in my notes compound clip. The possibilities are endless!

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Peter Silie
on May 31, 2017 at 7:07:14 am

I have the same problem, but using 10.3.4. Where can I find this information there?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]