FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing Wii Footage at 480p

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Clauson
Editing Wii Footage at 480p
on Apr 18, 2013 at 5:54:57 am

Good evening....er morning as it is 1:30am EST. haha.

Okay, so I am doing some video capturing projects for the Wii. I know, I know and old piece of hardware that outputs only at 480i/p.

The Gear:

The Wii (obviously) using component cables
Hauppauge HD PVR
Recording Software is HDPVR Capture
Editing Rig: MacPro 10.8.3 Final Cut Pro X 10.0.8 (or Premiere CS6)

The Process:

The Wii is set to 480p and Widescreen.
The Hauppauge tells me the signal is 720x480x60fps
I record and the result is a pretty .m2ts file.
HDPVR has an option to convert the file into an .mp4 which I use to bring it into Final Cut Pro X

The Issue:

I want to end up with a nice, clean 480p final project for YouTube as the main delivery vehicle. The issue I am having is that when I bring the converted .mp4 into FCP X, it shows as a 4:3 that has the squished vertical look. In the olden days I could just go over to distort in FCP 7 and change the aspect ratio. With FCP X I am at a loss on how to evenly and correctly modify the frame to fit a 16:9 project as well as fill the whole frame.

If I am not converting the .m2ts correctly please let me know or if I am doing anything else in the workflow that might not be ideal, please berate me and let me know how I missed the most obvious thing. :-)

I have Adobe Media Encoder (CS6) as well as Compressor so please, any advice would be welcome. Thank you in advance!

- J

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: Editing Wii Footage at 480p
on Apr 18, 2013 at 4:26:31 pm

Select the clip. Open the info pane (cmd-4). Click on "Info". There's a dropdown menu at the bottom of the info pane. Click it and select "settings view." The anamorphic flag should be there.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Jonathan Clauson
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:34:16 am

Bingo! That did it!

However if I may be so bold as to ask one follow up question.

The .mp4 files are causing Final Cut Pro X to crash. I don't know if that is because I am recording at too high a quality (4MB/s Constant) or if .mp4 is not a good format to edit in FCPX.

In a perfect world, should I converting the .m2ts files into a ProRes format first? Thanks!

- J

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Apr 19, 2013 at 3:38:33 am

You can transcode the footage in fcpx after you import the mp4s. Right click on the clips and select "transcode media" then select "optimized media." see if that fixes it.

I just cut a project with clips transcoded to mp4 using handbrake that had some issues, but ultimately worked well. My guess is that if I'd transcoded, I probably wouldn't have seen those issues. So if you have the time, best to transcode.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Jonathan Clauson
on Apr 19, 2013 at 6:14:48 pm

I am also going to follow this up with a big no brainer that I did not even think of until a few moments ago after I finished my first cut.

I do video game reviews for a living and as such I also have a Wii U. The Wii U has a built in upscaler to 1080p (HDMI) or 1080i (Component) for the Wii environment. After hitting my head on the side of my desk for a bit, I popped the Wii game I needed footage from in the Wii U, captured some great looking 1080i upscaled footage and it works perfectly in FCPX after using Adobe Media Encoder to turn it into ProRes.

Anyway, hopefully somebody learns from this. Thank you all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]