COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
Possible reason for FCP X file/drive corruption
on Apr 16, 2013 at 6:54:21 pm

I made this post in Oct. 2012-
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/14591

I said this:
"FCP X has hosed my external drive's directory structure (which is only used for video) a couple of times now. I avoided it for years, but broke down and bought "Disk Warrior" which brought the enclosure back to life. (Sorry I waited so long, but I learned my lesson and run Disk Warrior on this capture drive after every few sessions now. By the way, OWC tech support is usually pretty good, but their recommendation was to replace the enclosure as it appeared to have stopped working.)"

I argued this a bit with Jeremy on and offline trying to figure out the cause of of the drive corruption. As I said, this external RAID was only used as a dedicated FCP X drive, so I blamed FCP X for the problem. The only software ever to touch the drive was Disk Utility, FCP X, and Carbon Copy Cloner. Being a bit paranoid now, I run DiskWarrior on my internal FCP X media drive and then again on the mirrored Carbon Copy Cloner backup drive about once a month. I've not had any problems since.

The other day I did the usual CC Cloner backup and then figured it was time to run DiskWarrior on both drives. Before I ran the directory rebuild, I ran the "Graph" function on the two drives which in theory, I'd think should be identical. The internal drive showed 30% files out of order and the mirrored backup was at 50% (both drives are 750 GB). They were both run through DiskWarrior at the same time about a month prior.

Two thoughts:

1. Why is the percentage of files out of order so high on a FCP X specific drive to begin with? When I run DiskWarrior on my boot drive or it's backup (usually at the same time I do the media drives), it's usually under 10% out of order and...

2. Why does the backed up drive have a higher percentage of out or order files? Is it possible Carbon Copy Cloner is adding to the mess that is possibly started with FCP X and how it distributes files?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]