FORUMS: list search recent posts

4K to 1080P workflow> downsample BEFORE with MPEG Streamclip OR let FCPX create proxy media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
4K to 1080P workflow> downsample BEFORE with MPEG Streamclip OR let FCPX create proxy media
on Apr 16, 2013 at 12:56:06 am

Trying to figure out the 'best' workflow for ingesting 4K media from a 1DC camera. Phillip Bloom, a Premiere user, creates proxy media using MPEGStreamclip and then simply swaps in the original 4K footage before rendering.

FCPX has the ability to create proxy media on the fly or after ingesting.
Is there any advantage to letting FCPX create the proxy media as opposed to creating before hand using MPEGStreamclip?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 4K to 1080P workflow> downsample BEFORE with MPEG Streamclip OR let FCPX create proxy media
on Apr 16, 2013 at 2:34:08 am

Is there some advantage to using mpegstreamclip other than adding steps and risking it not working? I don't do 4k work yet, but I did a test with some 4k footage the other day from a 1dc and it seemed pretty flawless.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: 4K to 1080P workflow> downsample BEFORE with MPEG Streamclip OR let FCPX create proxy media
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:50:35 am

FCP X proxy workflow works incredibly well as the proxy workflow is part of the core of FCP X. I don't know of anything else that matches its functionality.

One reason not to transcode in another app is that you have a great chance of loosing the metadata when transcoding. Letting FCPX create the proxies ensures that all the metadata is available. Also switching from proxy to original media in FCP X takes just a moment, in case you want to check the detail in a 4K clip, or export a section in 4K. Reliking on the other hand can take a bit of time.

Keeping everything in FCP X also allows you to create 4K optimized media, incase you want to just edit in 4K.

The only issue I have every had with proxy mode in FCP X is that clips that contain an alpha (ProRes 4444 or animation code) didn't retain the alpha in proxy. But I have not tried that in 10.0.6 or later.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on May 14, 2013 at 9:11:20 pm

Thanks! I understand however that any footage metadata when applied in FCPX is project specific, but when applied in Davinci resolve is saved with the actual file!

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on May 14, 2013 at 9:53:23 pm

Indeed. FCPX doesn't write back metadata to the original files.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jakub Vomacka
on May 14, 2013 at 10:14:42 pm

beware - when rendering in mpegstreamclip you will lose your timecode. all clips will start at 0.

sometimes that might be a problem

Return to posts index

chris king
on Sep 29, 2014 at 9:25:36 am

When I got some 4K footage from my camcorder Panasonic GH4, I’m seeking for the way to downscale 4K to 1080P(I wanna import the 4K footage to FCP X). I’ve used a third-party 4K video converter to downsize my 4K video to ProRes in 1080p before loading and editing in my FCP. It both saved time and trouble, all I need is to drag the result videos for prompt editing. I’m seeking for more info to learn which is better to downscale 4K before or after editing.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Sep 29, 2014 at 4:46:28 pm

Why do you want to downsample? Are you having issues with the native GH4 footage in FCPX?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]