FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imported Clips Disorganized in Browser

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Pniewski
Imported Clips Disorganized in Browser
on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:53:17 pm

Hey, so I am trying to be really patient with FCP X (I've been using FCP 5 for years). . .

I have imported a ten minute piece that was completely edited and polished about ten years ago. Need to make a couple of minor tweaks. I was expecting the piece to come in as one self-contained file.

In my event browser, instead of having it look like one file (like you would have seen in earlier FCP imports), this has broken it down into clips and have resorted them beyond recognition.

I'm sorry, FCP, I don't want to re-edit the whole piece; I wanted to put the self-contained program into the timeline and make a couple of slight razor-bladed edits.

I have gone in and requested the files be sorted by import date (today), but they haven't moved. Two shots from the end of the program are first, then a clip from the beginning, then four from the middle. . .it's a mess.

What can I do? Should I have set some kind of preference before I imported?

Thanks so much ~

Glenn

Return to posts index

Tom Fox
Re: Imported Clips Disorganized in Browser
on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:07:55 pm

How did you import it? 7toX?

Are the resorted clips actual individual clips or are they keywords?

Perhaps a couple of screengrabs might enlighten us.

Return to posts index

Glenn Pniewski
on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:32:24 pm

The entire, finished project was archived on Mini DV about eight years ago (using what was probably FCP 3 or 4 at the time).

Now I have an iMac, latest operating system, etc, and have the trial period FCP X. I wanted to go in and make a few little razor blade edits to the piece.

Imported through Thunderbolt/Firewire, running off a DV source.

What it did is detected all the clip dates contained in the finished project; then sorted them in date-of-shot order. I was expecting it to come in as a self-contained "sequence" (which is what I am used to in older versions of FCP). If I was to grab what is in the browser and put it in the (i'll still call it a timeline), you'd have a puzzle piece mess. Clips from the end appear first (because that's when those shots were taken).

There is a drop-down menu command that says "Sort by import date", which I thought would solve the problem, but it doesn't really do much.

(I wish I could do screen grabs, but I can't. . .)

I guess what I am saying is, the browser looks like I dumped in a lot of stuff out of sequence that I now want to edit. But I don't. It should have come in AS it came in. . .

So I thought maybe I should have changed a setting before import.. ?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Tom Fox
on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:58:09 pm

Your guess is probably as good as mine on this, but let's try and think this through together and perhaps your answers to my questions will shed some light for you, me or someone else.

the clips you imported, were they from rushes or from the final cut?

In the finder, what are the names of the clip files? (I and, others I'm sure) have not worked with FCPX and tape.

Return to posts index

Glenn Pniewski
on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:50:22 pm

Tom, first of all, I thank you for your time!

This is a nine-minute piece I did about nine years ago. I archived the finished product out on DV tape; left it alone for all these years; now it's something that I need to put up on our local municipality's website. But I need to edit a few little quick things out. So I captured that 2002 "final cut" into FCP X; again, thinking it would come in as one nested sequence, one file, as it did in the "old days" of Final Cut.

Instead, it seems like it did a DV Stop-Start detect; the first clip that appears in the browser is called "2002-07-09 11:06:44". But. . .that particular shot isn't supposed to appear until a minute later in the "final cut". The next file is "2002-07-09 11:23:25"...but, it's not what is supposed to be the next shot. And so on, and so on. . .

So if I have to delete this, make some kind of preference change and then re-capture, no problem. But I need this to come in as one unbroken file. Again...is this the result of some kind of DV Start-Stop detection? And can I turn it off?

Just seriously confused :/

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 14, 2013 at 12:27:41 am

I would rent a digital recorder like AJA KI Pro. Play the tape and capture the footage on the recorder. Now you have one clip in apple pro res 422 and you are good to go.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:36:39 pm

It sounds like you have timecode breaks. FCP X is trying to work around them. They could be caused by the fact that a 10 year old DV tape is probably not in the greatest shape in the first place. Also, I would consider cleaning the heads really well on my playback deck. I have seen this happen with relatively new DV tapes and not just with FCP X. You could try dubbing the tape to a new tape if you have access to a second deck and then capturing that.

anickt

Return to posts index

Glenn Pniewski
on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:54:10 pm

Nick,

Just saw your post after composing my Tolstoy-ish message above.

What you say makes a lot of sense and I should have thought of that.

My other alternative, I suppose, is to take an archived DVD of the project. . .rip it. . .put it through a converter to give me either a .mov file or a .dv file. . .then import the file into FCP that way.

Again, guys, thank you much.

Return to posts index

Tom Fox
on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:04:34 pm

Dear Glenn Glennovich,

I would try avoiding the DVD route in your situation. Obviously look at Nicholay Nicholayovich's solution first.

In my DV days, when confronted with dodgy tapes, I would an analog copy (if you have the kit). I found it better than going via MPEG 2 of DVD's but that was probably completely subjective..

Does FCPX insist on start-stop detection? Hardly necessary for a few blades...

Good Luck,

Thomas Tomayevich

Return to posts index

Glenn Pniewski
on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:06:40 pm

Sounds like a plan ~ like I said, shame on me, I should have thought of that!

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:29:08 pm

You could make it a DV-NTSC file if you go the DVD ripping route. I use MPEG Streamclip. FCP X does not like .dv files. I would make it a 720X480 ProRes file myself. I don't know that you'd see much difference between the ripped file and the DV tape especially if the tape has dropouts or other damage the DVD may be the better choice. Good luck.

anickt

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Apr 13, 2013 at 12:20:50 am

Could you use Quicktime 7 - assuming you have it - to capture from your tape? Long time since I used tape but I believe QT will ignore the breaks and just capture the files in the order they appear on the tape.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 13, 2013 at 12:39:53 am

[Nick Toth] "FCP X does not like .dv files."

Nobody likes DV files. said the guy who has 2 projects in X using dozens of DV sources. Anamorphic DV. With different Aspect ratios. Fun! I captured them into FCP 7 though, so that part was easy. Is that an option for the OP?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]