FORUMS: list search recent posts

Solution similar to FCP7s Autosave Vault

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Eaks
Solution similar to FCP7s Autosave Vault
on Apr 10, 2013 at 2:45:30 am

Has anyone found a solution for FCPXs lack of an Autosave Vault? 3rd party app? smart folder? script? dropbox? If so, I'd appreciate if you would share what is working for you.

I just had FCPX hang after creating and undoing a compound clip of a fairly complex 2 hour AVCHD multicam edit. With my vast confidence in FCPX not losing my work and a hearty lack of patience, I force quit. I came back to an offline compound clip in the timeline (unable to break apart) and no compound clip in the event. Restoring the singular backup that FCPX keeps was the same thing.

Time Machine saved me and I'm right back on track no problem. BUT, by my own standards if I ever have to resort to Time Machine, I have failed somewhere in my backup workflow. So I'm hoping to fill that gap.

TIA

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Solution similar to FCP7s Autosave Vault
on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:09:42 am

Pro Versioner looks good

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:55:28 am

[David Eaks] "Pro Versioner looks good"

Pro versioner works well, I use both it an Back Ups, which is really nice. Doesn't hurt to have 2 backups just in case.

http://npassociatesllc.com/backupsforfcp/

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:01:48 am

Thanks Charlie, I got the Pro Versioner Trial setup on my secondary system and did some testing and project restoring. I am really happy with it overall.

Would you say Backups would be "good enough" on its own, or if you could only have one would it be Pro Versioner hands down?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:08:17 am

[David Eaks] "Would you say Backups would be "good enough" on its own, or if you could only have one would it be Pro Versioner hands down?"

Hey David. I think Backup would be fine on it's own. I like both apps, It's not like I don't trust one or the other, I had owned Pro Versioner for a while and just wanted to try backups. Can't be too careful right? lol

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:47:04 pm

Pro Versioner is terrific.

Here's what I don't see out there: an easy, automated way to back up my event. I end up duplicating/cloning events on another drive but I wish there was a tool that would then make incremental backups at a regular or user defined basis.

Pro Versioner is great for backing up projects. Wish it handled events/media too.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:50:34 pm

[Michael Hadley] "Here's what I don't see out there: an easy, automated way to back up my event. I end up duplicating/cloning events on another drive but I wish there was a tool that would then make incremental backups at a regular or user defined basis.

Pro Versioner is great for backing up projects. Wish it handled events/media too."

Look at backups... does just what you want. :-)

http://npassociatesllc.com/backupsforfcp/

"You can back up just the project and event files themselves or add Media, Shared Items, or FCP X’s own Backup folders as well."

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Apr 10, 2013 at 7:00:49 pm

Hmm. That looks terrific. Have you had good experience with it? No ratings on the App store.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 10, 2013 at 7:06:29 pm

[Michael Hadley] "Hmm. That looks terrific. Have you had good experience with it? No ratings on the App store.

Thanks!"

I have, though to be fair, other than a few trial runs when i first got it, i haven't needed to use it. :-) Philip at Intelligent Assistance (7toX, Xto7, Event Manager etc.) recommends it though. FWIW.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Apr 10, 2013 at 7:15:12 pm

well, if Hodgett's recommends it, it must be good. Couldn't live without Event Manager X.

Return to posts index

Matias Canelson
on Apr 11, 2013 at 1:54:42 am

I had the same question today, after a little search I installed backuplist+, is free and it just copies the files you tell it to (events files and project files). Has scheduled backups, limited incremental backups, checksum, works in the background. All winners.

Here is the link:
http://rdutoit.home.comcast.net/~rdutoit/pub/robsoft/pages/softw.html

--
MatiasCanelson
http://www.canelson.com.ar

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Apr 11, 2013 at 2:12:57 pm

I've moved to Sparse Bundles, so a lot of these backup solutions are problematic because you have to manually create watch folders or projects that it needs to back up. So I'd have to create hundreds of watch folders. And remember to do it every time I started a new project.

What I'm interested in is one that can auto detect FCP X Events and Projects from all the drives you have connected and back them up without any user intervention.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:40:41 am

How often does FCPX create that file in the backups folder?

Seems like all Apple needs to do is keep more than one project in that backups folder. I still don't understand why there's no vault.

It shouldn't be too complicated to come up with a script that will keep these backup files somewhere instead of constantly replacing them.

Or keep frequent copies of any file in the projects folder called "CurrentVersion.fcpproject" with a timestamp, inside a folder with the project name.

Is Back Ups worth the money?

At $17.99, it would pay for itself with just one use. It needs to keep copies of the project file without copying every render in the folder

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:46:15 am

[Mark Morache] "At $17.99, it would pay for itself with just one use. It needs to keep copies of the project file without copying every render in the folder"

It does. You can choose whatever you want it to back up, from just the project/event file, to all your media. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]