FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a way to make range stick?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Is there a way to make range stick?
on Apr 8, 2013 at 3:59:29 am

I have yet to understand the advantage of Range vs I/O marks, but I'm opened minded and ready to be enlightened. When I have a long event laid out on the timeline, I like to go through it pick chunks to cut, and cut it down. Now after I've made my initial selection, I want to continue scrolling to find an appropriate outpoint, but as soon as I click anywhere, my selection is gone. This is a real pita when repeated over and over again.

Is there a way to make the selection persist? Any theories as to the benefits of the way this works vs i/o points that I am missing?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Is there a way to make range stick?
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:39:07 am

[David Powell] " have yet to understand the advantage of Range vs I/O marks, but I'm opened minded and ready to be enlightened. When I have a long event laid out on the timeline, I like to go through it pick chunks to cut, and cut it down. Now after I've made my initial selection, I want to continue scrolling to find an appropriate outpoint, but as soon as I click anywhere, my selection is gone. This is a real pita when repeated over and over again.

Is there a way to make the selection persist? Any theories as to the benefits of the way this works vs i/o points that I am missing?
"

Are you trying to do this in a project (which is what X calls a sequence), or in the event browser. It sounds like you're cutting a clip into a project (timeline) and cutting it up in there. If this is the case, you can do it, just don't click in the actual timeline after setting an In point. If you want to scroll, drag the palyhead in the timecode strip at the top of the window or... use the skimmer. But, there's an easier way if what you're trying to do is just cut down longer clips before you edit....

In the Event browser filmstrip I/O's are persistent. Event range behavior is really way too much to go into here, but to do what it sounds like you want... highlight your clip, play or skim through it and set your first I/O. Hit the F key. Continue through your clip to the end. I/O -F etc. Then Select the clip in the event browser, in the menu right above the beginning of the filmstrip select "Favorites" . Click the disclosure triangle next to the clip and you'll see all the favorites you just made. You can either just use that view as your "selects" bin, or, creat a new project (timeline) , select all the favorites from the clip you just broke down, and press Q or D (or W or E) and presto!, a select sequence.

That was a simplistic, probably incomplete description. You can rename favorites, and this process becomes really powerful using Keywords. Keyword Collections, Favorites and Keywords, etc etc. That's where range selection kicks ass. In the timeline ranges pretty much work like normal I/O points, just be careful where you click. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:31:08 am

Thanks charlie. It sound like you're speaking of a clip by clip basis. I'm basically taking a long 3-4 hour multi cam sequence (project) and extracting what I dont like, leaving the selects there. You seem to be describing the process the other way around, but the problem is, I really have to make my selections based on what I'm cutting out more than what I'm leaving. So I guess the short answer is there is no persistent i/o in a project. Kinda baffling why the whole range selection was created. I've been using X for 6 months straight now, and I've seen no upside to it thus far.

Do you know offhand if there is a "mark to markers" command like in 7? That would essentially function as i/o's for me in a project.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:01:02 am

[David Powell] "Thanks charlie. It sound like you're speaking of a clip by clip basis. I'm basically taking a long 3-4 hour multi cam sequence (project) and extracting what I dont like, leaving the selects there. You seem to be describing the process the other way around, but the problem is, I really have to make my selections based on what I'm cutting out more than what I'm leaving. So I guess the short answer is there is no persistent i/o in a project. Kinda baffling why the whole range selection was created. I've been using X for 6 months straight now, and I've seen no upside to it thus far.

Do you know offhand if there is a "mark to markers" command like in 7? That would essentially function as i/o's for me in a project."

Gotcha... I/O's will stick, as long as you don't click on a clip or in the empty space in the timeline, if that's what you mean. So you can set an I and then use JKL or arrow or skim or drag in the TC bar and it'll stick forever... or until you click a clip or empty TL space. :-) It took me a while to get used to them not sticking until I cleared them as in FCP "classic"...

As to Mark to Markers, not that I know of, but you can set markers, and then use the timeline index to go to them and set I/O's which is similar I guess. I just tried it actually and it was kinda nice. just use the up/down arrows to move through the index, hit i/o as needed, delete, arrow to the next chunk. Fun. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 8, 2013 at 10:59:38 am

Since there are no tracks, there are no track targets.

If you wanted to replace media that is not in the primary, you have to set a range on the connected clip.

That is one probable reason why there's ranges.

I've always thought that fcpx could benefit from a target system.

As far as your issue, I'm with Charlie.

Mark in, skim, mark out (or drag the playhead on the time markers if you don't like skimming).

Or, blade your in point, blade your out point, select the middle and delete.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 10, 2013 at 10:59:23 pm

Just use the initial process Charlie pointed out. But instead of Favorite - use the Reject tag (Red X on the HUD) then instead of show Favorites in the Event Browser filter (small tab upper left) use Hide Rejected.

Bingo. You've just hidden all your rejected ranges leaving you to apply favorites or keyword ranges to the REST of your story.

FWIW.

My process is typically REJECT first to trim the crap. Then Favorite to focus. And use agile rating or notes keywords to further focus and sort.

By the way, applying any Tag to any selected Range IS "making it stick."

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.
(

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:28:12 pm

Hhhmmm... Are you talking about dragging a range on a clip in the Viewer and having it stick while you drag select another range? If so, drag select the first range then, holding the Command key, drag select another range. Rinse and repeat. All range selects remain.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 11, 2013 at 11:59:15 pm

Here's the reason I can't make selects first, I'm basically doing an edit that involves a long version and a shortened version. Both are given to the client. So the long version is made and there is only a minimal amount cut, thus the 80-90% is select. Therefore I'm searching for spots to cut out rather than what to include. These are live events, not scripted. In a normal timeline when I come to a spot that isn't necessary, I would mark an inpoint than keep skimming about the sequence until I ran into a part where I could make a seamless transition and mark an out, then delete between in and out, but the range selection makes this pretty cumbersome. Firstly, I can't start the process based on the outpoint and second its so easy to click somewhere and the mark disappears.

My timeline is 100% multi-clip based off of one long multi-clip in the event browser, and one problem Im running into is when I match frame, I can only set an in point. I cant transport through the clip to an outpoint from the event browser to make a select. I can't even play through a multi-clip from the event browser. This is a big letdown for me.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:04:05 am

[David Powell] "My timeline is 100% multi-clip based off of one long multi-clip in the event browser, and one problem Im running into is when I match frame, I can only set an in point. I cant transport through the clip to an outpoint from the event browser to make a select. I can't even play through a multi-clip from the event browser. This is a big letdown for me."

You may have already done so, but i'd shoot some feedback to Apple, with as much detail as possible. They do read that stuff. :-)

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:21:52 am

Is this something everyone experiences? I have an i7 3.4 with 16gigs, or is this just one of the setbacks of not having a traditional composer window? As far as the range selection problem goes, a simple mark to markers command as existed in 7 and Avid would solve the whole thing, oh yeah and colored markers so I can differentiate from my editing marks.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:50:36 am

[David Powell] "As far as the range selection problem goes, a simple mark to markers command as existed in 7 and Avid would solve the whole thing, oh yeah and colored markers so I can differentiate from my editing marks.
"

Maybe not ideal, but a workaround might be to use chapter markers. set a "start" mark as usual, but in the pop up make it a chapter marker. It'll give you a little pin which you can drag out to your end point. You can make a bunch of these, then, using the timeline index, you can jump to the start of each "chapter", hit "I", click the marker in the index (not the timeline!) again to see the pin at the end. scrub the playhead in the timecode strip at the top of the timeline only, - click anywhere else and the range goes away, as you know - ... (or skim) to the out point, hit "o", delete. repeat as needed.

Again, not the same as mark to markers, but sorta close? Just a thought...

setting a range to markers seems pretty do-able, so... at the risk of sounding like a broken record... send feedback. :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:05:14 pm

I'm going to make this as a general suggestion, NOT as a specific comment to address the workflow being discussed.

But really, on a project where you're not on deadline and you have some time for pure learning. Try doing ALL your visual scene focus work in the Event Browser rather than ANY of it in the timeline. Learn how to apply Reject, Favorite and develop a personal strategy for keywords that sort, ID, bucket, and collect scenes into various groupings and sets of your own design. It forces you to think about the power of the relational database and how it work both with, and more importantly "ahead of" the timeline - to make editing much easier.

If you're thinking exclusively of being IN the timeline when you do your organization - it's kinda downstream of true design of the workflow in X.

I know it's not particularly natural since prior to X, all serious editing work happened in a timeline - but if you can wrap your head around the power of working INSIDE the database for as much of your selection and trimming work as possible - rather than exclusively on the timeline - you'll truly thank yourself later.

FWIW.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]