FORUMS: list search recent posts

This Effect?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Koza
This Effect?
on Apr 7, 2013 at 10:29:34 pm

Hi, another little question. There was a photographer at my video shoot, who took some stills, and really manipulated her shots. The band likes the effect (I'm not so sure), but how could I replicate that look (if I wanted to)? My freeze frame is raw, untouched footage. Her's is the latter, as you can tell. :)

Return to posts index

John Godwin
Re: This Effect?
on Apr 8, 2013 at 12:37:23 am

CrumplePop ToneGrade will, I think, get you most of the way to that HDR look. Hope this helps ...

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 8, 2013 at 12:56:08 am

That's an HDR (High Dynamic Range) type look Lisa, normally produced by capturing the same image using multiple exposures ie exposing separately for the very bright sky and the darker foreground, and then combining the two. Your image looks pretty flat with available detail in both the sky and the foreground, so you can probably mimic a smiliar look by going into the Color Board and heavily treating the Mid-tones and Highlights.

I created this pretty quickly using a single correction pass as below. It's far from a perfect replication but it's close'ish and only took a couple of minutes to mock up.

Create a soft Color Mask using the light blue of the sky, then bring down Exposure controls for both Midtones and Highlights to about 50%, switch the Mask to "Outside" mode and bring down the Exposure control for the Midtones to about 30%.

There's usually a plugin that'll attempt to save you the trouble, this one from Japanese developer ISP might work ... and theres a 15 day free trial to find out; http://www.isp.co.jp/en/products/tools/filmcolor/hdr/

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Lisa Koza
on Apr 8, 2013 at 1:11:27 am

Thank you both, for the input. I'll give both options a try.

I already had asked the Photographer if it was HDR...her answer was: No HDR Lisa, 3 layers in photoshop, the effect was put through Lightroom and nik color efex.

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:15:01 am

I suppose you could export an image sequence (I'd recommend TIF's) out of FCPX and batch process the images in Photoshop similarly to the photog's process. That's if you have photoshop, of course, and the Nik plugin. Or you could get her to do it. I say process it "similarly" because obviously you're working with lower res images and less dynamic range.

By the way, that over the top fake HDR look makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth. I wish it would die, but it keeps hanging in there.

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Apr 8, 2013 at 2:20:44 am

Actually, if you have Photoshop Extended version you can edit video, and I may be wrong, but I think you can apply any filters to video that you can on a still.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 8, 2013 at 6:29:05 am

I'd ask the photographer for the PSD-file and see what he's used in terms of layers / FX. This could then relativly easily be replicated in FCPX or After Effects. As some has pointed out you could do it in PS directly but I wouldn't recommend that if it can be avoided.

Return to posts index

Brent Cook
on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:37:54 am

Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend the Photoshop route? Is it the time/convenience factor? I'm very proficient in PS for stills (Photography is my background) but I haven't delved into its video capability much as of yet. High volume batch processing of stills I have plenty of experience with.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:42:59 am

Well the workflow is a little "clunky" since you have to re-render everything though photoshop if anything is changed. Not sure if / how well PS handles audio and QuickTime.

But sure, you can have a set look in PS and use it as a "transcode and finishing" solution. I have in the past for certain PS-only filters. It really locks things down though.

Another solution would be to add the filter to the used raw footage and reconforming that hence having handles and such remain in the edit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]