FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green and red glitches in timeline clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Possberg
Green and red glitches in timeline clip
on Apr 7, 2013 at 2:19:19 pm

Hi everybody,

I am trying to add a twixtor effect (5.4.1) in FCPX 10.0.8 to a clip but as soon as I add it the clip has red and green pixel blocks.
The same problem with green bars and pixels I get when I am trying to render a motion clip in Compressor or direct out of Motion. This happens randomly, not with all clips.

My graphic card is a NVIDIA 8800 GT - may this be the cause?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Green and red glitches in timeline clip
on Apr 7, 2013 at 4:27:29 pm

Which OS version are you on?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Anna Possberg
on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:23:52 pm

Hi Charlie, I have an OS 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro 3.1

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:48:42 pm

[Anna Possberg] "Hi Charlie, I have an OS 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro 3.1"

10.6.8? oohh... my guess is that's your problem. If you can, update to OS X 10.8.3, which is where we're at now. That bug was introduced in FCP X 10.0.6 I think, and it took an OS update to fix it. The other "solution" would be to get a copy of FCP X older than 10.0.6, but I'm not sure how you'd do that... Update the OS. It's fun! Just back everything up first...

Return to posts index

Anna Possberg
on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:53:36 pm

Hi thanks, I intended anyway to upgrade to Mountain Lion, I just didn't want that lousy 10.7. Would be great if my problems would be solved that easily.
And additionally I just ordered an ATI HD 5870 to be on the safe side. Meanwhile my screen has dancing little dots all over. Hmmmm

Cheers,

Anna

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:56:11 pm

[Anna Possberg] "Hi thanks, I intended anyway to upgrade to Mountain Lion, I just didn't want that lousy 10.7. Would be great if my problems would be solved that easily.
And additionally I just ordered an ATI HD 5870 to be on the safe side. Meanwhile my screen has dancing little dots all over. Hmmmm"

I'll go out on a limb and say the ML upgrade and that card (I put one in my mac pro a while ago) will fix you right up. Throw in as much RAM as you can while you're at it...

Return to posts index

Anna Possberg
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:12:53 pm

I hope so, right now I am backing everything up and than I'll install OS 10.8. The card should be here on Tuesday and I already have 20 GB RAM - should be enough for a decent small 4K time lapse project.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:20:15 pm

[Anna Possberg] "I hope so, right now I am backing everything up and than I'll install OS 10.8. The card should be here on Tuesday and I already have 20 GB RAM - should be enough for a decent small 4K time lapse project."

I think it'll be fine. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:35:06 pm

oh... once you've updated, be sure to delete all the render files from the project as the funky frames will still be contained in the old ones. Maybe the event as well just to be sure...

Return to posts index

Anna Possberg
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:38:03 pm

Thanks, good point

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:40:20 pm

[Charlie Austin] "10.6.8? oohh... my guess is that's your problem. If you can, update to OS X 10.8.3, which is where we're at now. That bug was introduced in FCP X 10.0.6 I think, and it took an OS update to fix it. The other "solution" would be to get a copy of FCP X older than 10.0.6, but I'm not sure how you'd do that"

Charlie,

I'm on 10.6.8 and FCP X 10.0.4 on an early 2011 MBP i7 with 16GB RAM and everything works fine. I have archived every version of FCP X that has come out for giggles, but the combo of my OS and version of FCP X is problem free. I have loaded OS 10.8.3 and FCP X 10.0.8 on a separate partition, but haven't had a chance to play with it. I know for a fact that the Mountain Lion OS will "break" a lot of my older software, plus I have no time to mess with that and the slightly new OS learning curve. Someday.

Anyway, 10.6.8 and FCP X 10.0.4 work great together.

Dave

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:46:51 pm

[Dave Gage] "Anyway, 10.6.8 and FCP X 10.0.4 work great together."

There's a bunch of nice stuff in later versions of FCPX, but I totally understand the broken old apps thing. It took me a while to figure out how to replace things that wouldn't work when i upgraded the OS a while ago. Anna was/is running FCPX 10.0.8 on OS X 10.6.8 though, which doesn't seem to work well... ;-)

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Apr 7, 2013 at 7:14:03 pm

[Charlie Austin] "There's a bunch of nice stuff in later versions of FCPX"

Nothing I need at the moment, as my work is fairly low end compared to what most of youse guys require.

[Charlie Austin] "Anna was/is running FCPX 10.0.8 on OS X 10.6.8 though, which doesn't seem to work well... ;-)"

I did notice that, but I wanted to make the point that 10.0.4 is reasonably solid on 10.6.8. as we'll still likely have more future posters stop by that may still be on Snow Leopard. The OS and FCP X upgrades don't give me anything I need at the moment, so upgrading for the sake of upgrading is silly. But, I can only fight it so long. I do need Lion or ML to run Xcode and iBooks Author so thus the partition.

By the way, I tend to lurk more than post, but thanks for all you do here. There's a few of you that do the lion's share of heavy lifting around here. (Or in my case, I should say the "Snow Leopard's" share.)

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:04:07 am

I'm on 10.06 on OS 10.7 and I get green glitches with or without added effects. Its been that way since 10.03 with me (which is when I started using X). The only solution is to "Send to Compressor". This seems to fix to problem at least on export. Copying the project without including renders will help temporarily within the NLE, but they will show up again.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:07:00 am

[David Powell] "I'm on 10.06 on OS 10.7 and I get green glitches with or without added effects. Its been that way since 10.03 with me (which is when I started using X). The only solution is to "Send to Compressor". This seems to fix to problem at least on export. Copying the project without including renders will help temporarily within the NLE, but they will show up agai"

I honestly think the solution is to upgrade the OS and App.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]