FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to add an edit in FCPX without using the blade tool???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Natteau
Is it possible to add an edit in FCPX without using the blade tool???
on Apr 7, 2013 at 1:17:28 am

Coming from Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 where I can easily add an edit in my timeline with a single keystroke, is it possible to do the same in FCP X.

Instead of first having to select the blade tool, then position the playhead, then make the cut.

Can I assign a cut or add edit function to a single keystroke in FCPX???

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Is it possible to add an edit in FCPX without using the blade tool???
on Apr 7, 2013 at 11:17:25 am

http://www.google.com/search?q=fcp+x+key+commands&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en

anickt

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:48:28 pm

Cmd + B will cut either your primary storyline or the selected clip at the playhead.. or at the skimmer location if skimmer is active. You can skim over any clip to find your cut point and hit cmd+b to make the cut.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:53:02 pm

I have remapped command-b to just b.

This way I place the skimmer or playhead and hit b.

It works well.

The blade tool is now command-b. I rarely need to go in to the full blade tool mode.

Shift-b blades all.

This is how I like it, but you might find something else that works better.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2013 at 4:31:21 pm

This may not apply, but I have a multibutton scroll mouse and use USB overdrive to program the scroll wheel to the arrow keys and left side button to CNTRL-B. Had the same setup in 7... not sure I could go back to a KB command to scroll to a frame and make a cut

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 7, 2013 at 4:34:34 pm

Thank you thank you. 99% of the time I split a clip using the blade tool its extra steps to activate the blade tool, split the clip, then reactivate the select tool. One click b seems like a better way to work. Even if I were to split a bunch of clips it would be cool to use the keyboard instead of a mouse click. Mouse clicking could and has accidentally moved the skimmer and I have to command z and try again. The only possible downside is accidentally hitting b, which would split a clip unintended. Hard to do that with the pointer becoming a blade.

Jeremy, what does shift -b blades all mean?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Apr 7, 2013 at 4:55:06 pm

Blade all would be to cut primary storyline and all connected clips / secondary storylines (layers) at the playhead.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2013 at 5:49:05 pm

[Craig Alan] "Jeremy, what does shift -b blades all mean?"

Blade-all cuts all the layers in the stack instead of just the selected or clip skimmed layer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:59:15 pm

[Craig Alan] "The only possible downside is accidentally hitting b, which would split a clip unintended. Hard to do that with the pointer becoming a blade."

Craig,

For my edits, I'm constantly adding lower 3rd text annotations. Most of these I copy and paste in from elsewhere so I right-click on the text area choose "Paste and Match Style". But, sometimes I just get the info in my head from elsewhere and come back and begin typing. I can't tell you how many times in the past I've come back to FCP X and began typing into what appears to be the still selected text area. Well, sometimes it is and sometimes it's not.

If I come back and decide to just type in info I just found elsewhere, the keystrokes begin doing all sorts of unintended actions which I then need to un-do. I have considered re-mapping all the keyboard short cuts so that there are no single key shortcuts, but I've messed this up so many times now, that I seem to have out-grown this problem. Time will tell. But anyway, I'm personally a fan of modifier keys, I make less mistakes when I'm moving quickly.

Dave

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:08:49 pm

I do this too, although my cut all is attached to the ` key (muscle memory thing from my 7 set up).

Oner annoying thing about X over 7 is in 7 i could lock all audio tracks with one button and so cut all would only cut all my video and leave my audio alone, which was particularly useful to me when I had audio i was keeping and 2 or 3 camera views stacked on each other and i used the cut all to mark my camera angle changes, or cut to a beat or some such. Can't do that anymore because I cannot lock all audio... even allowing me to lock all below the primary would be great.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:18:52 pm

[Julian Bowman] "in 7 i could lock all audio tracks with one button and so cut all would only cut all my video and leave my audio alone, which was particularly useful to me when I had audio i was keeping and 2 or 3 camera views stacked on each other"

In X I just select the clip on the bottom of the stack to be cut, shift click the top one which selects them all and then cut...

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 7, 2013 at 9:50:16 pm

It's not the same. You highlight the clips (in itself taking longer than the f6 key I had bound) and then you do a cut and the highlight is removed, or remains to the left of the cut... so you need to highlight them all again to do the next cut. I often just go through and strike a handful of cuts, or sometimes across the length of a song on the beat.

Anyway, it is just a limitation of the design philosophy, and one that obviously not all editors using it will come across because not all editors edit in that manner. I do at times, therefore I would like to at least lock everything below the primary.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 7, 2013 at 9:57:35 pm

[Julian Bowman] "It's not the same. You highlight the clips (in itself taking longer than the f6 key I had bound) and then you do a cut and the highlight is removed, or remains to the left of the cut... so you need to highlight them all again to do the next cut. I often just go through and strike a handful of cuts, or sometimes across the length of a song on the beat.

Anyway, it is just a limitation of the design philosophy, and one that obviously not all editors using it will come across because not all editors edit in that manner. I do at times, therefore I would like to at least lock everything below the primary.
"

Got it, makes sense... The ability to maybe lock by Role would be nice. I think it would solve your issue... as well as the problem created when a chunk of cut music, which you don't want to move as it's cut relative to other music, is connected to a clip you're moving. You can work around it with the ~ key, but if there are, say, FX connected to that clip that you "do" want to move with it, you either need to move the MX connection snorkel to another clip (if you can) or pop the clip out of the primary and drag everything old skool style.

So... I'm off to send feedback to Apple to suggest Role Locking. :-)

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 7, 2013 at 10:37:14 pm

Aye, I guess locking roles would work. Would have to mean I'd have to bother learning about them :) but a small price to pay. It would lock and protect all the audio in one keystroke, so great.

(I do actually have a rudimentary understanding of them, just never use them in my editing style/workflow)

And yes to the music. I would actually like to be able to connect clips to other clips not on the primary. Came across some limitations of the current rules which forced me into making compound clips just to circumnavigate issues created by everything attaching itself to a primary clip.

Return to posts index

Nick Natteau
on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:43:18 am

Just did the same. Thanks everyone for your replies.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]