FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Trial keeps crashing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
FCPX Trial keeps crashing
on Apr 6, 2013 at 9:15:27 pm

Hi guys,

Need some help. I downloaded the 30 day free trial, all was working well until lately. I had a tutor come over for a couple of hours, thought I got the hang of it. Trying to make a decision between X and Premiere.

So I loaded in a lot of assets: free templates from motionvfx, footage from different codecs, plus a tutorial DVD I bought on Craigslist (which may have been bootleg?). Then it started crashing, at first I got an error box saying I didn't have permission for specific footage (transferred from the tutorial DVD) so I trashed it and emptied the trash figuring that should do it. But now I keep getting crashes, the report says:

Crashed Thread: 26 BGTask: FFThumbnailRequestManager Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-priority

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000001297a7fd8

I have the latest 27 iMac but presently there's only 8GB of ram in it, using OS 10.8.2 Also restarted and problem is still happening.

I'm wondering if I uninstall it I won't get the last 6 days of my trial correct? Or, what if I uninstall and then buy a copy from Apple, perhaps it will also crash?

Thanks for your advice.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: FCPX Trial keeps crashing
on Apr 6, 2013 at 9:49:56 pm

Ned, can you run software update to 10.8.3? The latest FCPX update requires that I think.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 6, 2013 at 10:59:47 pm

In addition to what John suggests, the crash report suggest a problem either calling, or creating a render file. I'd suggest a couple things:

1-Delete all Event and Project render files (Commands are at bottom of File Menu)

2-If you can, get rid of the current problem Event/project and start over with a new event/project. Either by buying Event Manager for $5, or by simply Quitting FCP X and moving whatever is in in the Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects folders in your Movies folder, into new Folders you make called "Final Cut Events - Hidden" and "Final Cut Projects - Hidden" respectively. (note the space on either side of the "-" !) Then restart FCP Create an Event, and go.

3-Don't install a bunch of random 3rd party FX until you're sure you're running well, and understand how to find and delete them if they cause problems.

It doesn't sound like a major problem, just that something got corrupted in the Event or Project. Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Apr 6, 2013 at 11:57:05 pm

Thank you friends! I will do the software update, do what you suggest, contact John and take care of this tomorrow, wife wants to go to dinner.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 7, 2013 at 12:45:29 am

And the video from the DVD- did you copy to the HD before you imported? Can't run video off a DVD for oh so many reasons.

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:06:44 pm

Well, I updated the OS as John suggested and I hid the files like Charlie suggested in his Point 2 and I am not running off the DVD tutorial so I can't figure out what is wrong. It seems that an Apple product should work perfectly with a new Apple computer right?

But what really has me paranoid is what if this were to happen during a real edit?

And John, can you please let me know if we can do that session at your convenience any time this afternoon or all day tomorrow? i have 3 days left of the trial period.

I will upgrade to 32GB ram this afternoon and see if it helps. I don't think so because my error message is something about Thumbnail Request Manager

Many thanks!

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Ned Miller
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:13:29 pm

Hmmmmm.....I thought X was suppose to be easy. My research shows that it often crashes and is hard to figure out why as seen in a post like this, look at their solution:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/46927

Now I am getting cold feet and am researching Premier regardless of the cost differential.

Thanks,

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 9, 2013 at 4:32:33 pm

[Ned Miller] "My research shows that it often crashes and is hard to figure out why as seen in a post like this, look at their solution:
"

Like EVERY piece of NLE software FCPX can be problematic when there are driver or hardware issues, which you clearly have. As in the post you mentioned, it's just a matter of highlighting where the problem is

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:45:11 pm

Ned, check your email.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Oct 1, 2014 at 2:59:33 pm

If the payed version of FCPX is anything like the trial version, keep your money in your pocket. It's a disaster. Especially since the latest OS X update where it keeps verifying its origin, because it is not acquired via the App store. Apple don't even recognize their own software anymore. When it eventually does start, it doesn't play the clips in the timeline and/or any clip is misformed. Not worth a penny, let alone €270

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 1, 2014 at 3:43:41 pm

[Hans Douma] "Especially since the latest OS X update where it keeps verifying its origin, because it is not acquired via the App store. Apple don't even recognize their own software anymore. When it eventually does start, it doesn't play the clips in the timeline and/or any clip is misformed."

If you didn't get FCP X from the App store, your problems are not due to FCP X.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]