The goal is to maintain an active event that is highly organized that will contain a few types of my media:
1. The best clips (RANGES OF CLIPS ONLY!) to be used in future reels
2. Clips that I will use as stock for other projects
3. Effect clips such as bokah flares, mDUST files and other media based filters
Here are my issues:
1. Organization Problem When trying to copy (click+opt+drag) I am unable to add to a current keyword or folder. I need to add to the root event and then add to a keyword collection (which is in a folder).
2. Copy Problemokay, when "copy files to final cut event" is selected it copies the entire file and not just the range that I selected. I understand why this might not work (FCP7 and CS6 makes you export subclips...). I was just hoping that FCPX would try and remedy this issue. I have a 25 minute clip but only want to use 5 seconds for a reel...no reason to house the huge clip in the event (export range might be the only solution). BUT this is annoying because:
3. Watch Folder: I hope I am missing something here because my most basic software has watch folders. If I have to export as mentioned above (as ProRes 422...fast export, minimal quality loss) then I don't want to have to remember to import.
4. Naming I shoot with DSLR's and older files have duplicate names. FCPX does not allow you to copy what they see as a duplicate to another event. This is more of a "get your import process right" issue, but most times I like to drag and drop and organize in the finder.
I will continue to update this as to my findings and additional needs, but it would be great if anyone had some ideas or if you could share how you prepare for a reel (without having to go back through archived drives and projects).