FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transition settings/options are missing?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Casas
Transition settings/options are missing?
on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:05:54 am

Hello!

I am new in Final Cut X...not loving it...but some jobs are asking me to use it..so here I am.

I am not understanding why when I move clips that have transitions, i lose the transitions on the way...meaning that i change the position of my clip but my transitions are staying, they don't move!!?

so, doing research somebody suggested trying to change transition settings in the preferences window, the problem is that when I go to preferences, the only thing I have showing in transitions is the time, but is bot giving me the option to apply transitions "using available media" etc..

did anyone had this issue? where can I find this option then? is this the reason why my clips are "losing" the transitions when I try to move them around?

THANK YOU!!!

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: Transition settings/options are missing?
on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:24:03 am

That preference was removed several versions back- it is automatically selected whenever you have too little media in the overlap.

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:15:34 am

thks for this James, but what about "losing" the transitions on the way when I move clips that have transitions?
I mean that I change the position of my clip but my transitions are staying, so they don't move!?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:20:27 am

[Esther Casas] "I mean that I change the position of my clip but my transitions are staying, so they don't move!?"

Are you trying to move a clip with a transition to another clip? or to gap? (which you may think is black, but it isn't. Are you coming from FCP/Pr or Avid? What kind of transition?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Esther Casas
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:23:21 am

I am just trying to move an individual clip that has one transition at the beginning and one at the end of it. When I do, the clip moves, but not the transitions, both are left alone in the timeline...weird?

I am coming from fcp 7

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:39:10 am

Make sure to lasso select the transitions as well as the clip itself if you want to move the whole enchilada.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:41:03 am

[Esther Casas] "I am just trying to move an individual clip that has one transition at the beginning and one at the end of it. When I do, the clip moves, but not the transitions, both are left alone in the timeline...weird?

I am coming from fcp 7"

Assuming you're trying to fade or transition to black then. If so, that "media" in the timeline, is not black. Hard to explain if you haven't cut on avid, but the quick solve is to go to the "generators" effects browser and select "grey scale" cut in as much as you need to cover the transition on either side of your clip. select it in the timeline and open the inspector and adjust the level to 100%. then apply the transition and you can move the whole chunk of 3 clips. Or, if you just need a fade. highlight the clip in the timeline, press CNTRL-V to open the clip animation, click the little thing to open up the compositing opacity keyframe panel, and just drag the fade handles on either side of the clip to do it. CNTRL-V closes it up again. Also, use the position tool (P) rather than the select tool (A) to move things around. X is always in ripple mode with the select tool.

Sounds way more complicated than it is. Also... if you haven't. watch some tutorials. The primary storyline behaves more like Media Composer than the old FCP. It'll drive you insane until you get how it works... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:27:41 am

Just make sure that you select the clip, and the transition(s) before you move em. Also, if yiur clip is on top of the main storyline, when you apply a transition, it makes the clip into a secondary storyline. You'll have a new bubble around it that has a darker grey "shelf" above it. If you click on that shelf, it'll select everything in the storyline. Including the transitions. Then you can drag it, or use the comma and period keys to nudge it back and forth.

FWIW, I've been using it for TV ads and just put a :30 gap clip in the primary, then attach everything to that. That way I can set that gap clip exactly how long the piece needs to be and it works out great!

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 5, 2013 at 5:54:30 am

*Edit Somehow I didn't see that anyone else had replied to the OP, before I posted.*

The "available media" option was removed in an earlier version, like 10.0.4 or something.

The transition is not moving with the clip because you haven't "told" FCP that you want it to move with the clip. You just select both the transition and the clip at the same time, then move them. If you're moving the clip and transition between two other clips that already have a transition, you'll want to be sure to drop them on the correct side of the transition, so you don't end up with two transitions at one edit point and no transition at another.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]