FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Share Shortcut Not Working

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Becky Geear
FCPX Share Shortcut Not Working
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:38:50 pm

Hi there,

I just installed the latest FCP X update (10.0.8) and have run into an interesting bug/issue and wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. My Share shortcut (cmd+E) refuses to work. I get a lovely *BONK!* sound every time I try. I've been using FCP X daily for almost a year now and have never had this problem.

I have my timeline window active.
I have tried setting a range to include all my clips.
I have double checked the assigned shortcuts to see if anything has changed.
I have quit and restarted.
I have shut down and rebooted.
I have trashed preferences.

Nothing gives. It still won't work. And I notice it's the same to export part of a clip in the clip window/bin.

I've done some searching and it seems like some people have issues with the Share menu being grayed out. I'm not experiencing this. I can still export through the menu...it's just the shortcut that is not working.

Everything has stayed the same. The only change has been the latest update. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. I use shortcuts predominantly and this is making me beyond frustrated. Am I just missing something simple?

Thanks for any help.

Becky

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
Re: FCPX Share Shortcut Not Working
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:50:52 pm

Every update I always have a problem with shortcuts. I have a custom, saved, shortcut set. When I upgrade and Apple adds new keyboard shortcuts (like the new timeline clip view shortcuts), they don't work. I have to 'reset' by scrapping my old saved set - taking the new default set and re-adding my shortcuts that I want and creating a new saved set.

When they add new shortcuts, they don't append to your previously saved sets.

Return to posts index

Becky Geear
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:53:40 pm

Thanks for the insight, Jeffrey! Wasn't aware of this issue. I'll give this a shot. I didn't have a custom set and was just using defaults, but I'll go ahead and create one to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks again.

Becky

Return to posts index

Becky Geear
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:06:26 pm

So I created a new template for shortcuts, renamed, altered some, deleted the cmd+E shortcut, re-established cmd+E and saved. And I'm still having the same issue. For some reason it's not taking this shortcut even though it's assigned to Share/Export.

I'm at a loss.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:20:04 pm

Did you install that Procut X application for ipad and the associated keyboard set with it? I found that was messing me up a little for a few things.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Becky Geear
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:24:01 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your experience and trying to help. I haven't installed anything for the iPad. I'm just using my standard work MacBook Pro and have never altered the Commands template or added any apps or plug-ins. I'm totally scratching my head over this one. It occurred right after I installed the latest update. And that's the only thing that I've changed.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:27:37 pm

Assuming you updated from .07, I'd just suggest you make sure you have something exportable selected? Like a comp, or a project? Maybe set an in/out range and see if it pops up? Otherwise I'm at a loss.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Becky Geear
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:32:02 pm

Yeah, I was at .07 when the update occurred. I've tried selecting a range, I've had the timeline window active and I've tried to export a range of a clip from the clip/bin window. No go in all instances. At least I can still export through the menu, but it's just irritating when my cmd+E was just working...

Return to posts index

Becky Geear
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:40:48 pm

Question: I just noticed that when I open the File Menu and select Share the sub-menu with all options listed does not have the default cmd+E listed in the menu. Wasn't it there in previous versions? What does everyone else's menu look like? Do you have a shortcut listed?

Return to posts index

Becky Geear
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:52:57 pm

FYI, I just figured it out! Somehow after the update there wasn't any default export method set to the Share sub-menu. All the options were listed, but there wasn't a default set so FCP X didn't know which destination to set the shortcut too. I've set the default to Master File and all works well again.

I feel much saner now. Thanks for the assistance, Jeffrey and John. It got the wheels turning and led me to this path.

Becky

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:28:40 pm

IIRC, you'll have to re-set that default after every time you Trash Prefs as well.

Return to posts index

Becky Geear
on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:30:42 pm

Good to know. Thanks, David! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]