FORUMS: list search recent posts

work natively at 2.40:1 at HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
work natively at 2.40:1 at HD
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:00:02 am

We shot 5K at a 2.40:1 aperture. FCPX has a project for those dimensions (5120x2160) but I can't work downscaled in HD at clean pixel dimensions - 1920x810. I HAVE to put it into a letterboxed comp.

Am I seeing this right? What's up with that?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: work natively at 2.40:1 at HD
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:38:27 pm

[Jason Brown] "Am I seeing this right? What's up with that?"

Yes that would be correct, there is not a direct scale from any 2:40 aspect ratio into the 1:78aspect ratio of 16x9 HD with out cropping or letterboxing.

"We shot 5K at a 2.40:1 aperture. FCPX has a project for those dimensions (5120x2160) but I can't work downscaled in HD at clean pixel dimensions"

That is correct: divide 5120x2160 into 1920x1080.

Most Video editing app's only natively support the SMPTE output specs and frame rasters.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 3, 2013 at 4:45:47 pm

[gary adcock] "Most Video editing app's only natively support the SMPTE output specs and frame rasters."

Arguably FCP should also add 2048x858 and 1998x1080, the DCI specifications for scope and 1.85, respectively. I guess the thinking, though, is increasingly that one will simply work at the native resolution of the camera footage, and worry about frame dimensions only when outputting. This is nice in theory, but I'm not sure it's completely practical yet in every case.

Either way, it would be nice if FCP added some sort of sequence-wide custom blanking feature like, say, Resolve, so you could work letterboxed without having to worry about image ever appearing outside of where it should if you scale or reposition shots or mix in material in other aspect ratios.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Apr 3, 2013 at 5:55:20 pm

>>it would be nice if FCP added some sort of sequence-wide custom blanking feature

You mean a Letterbox Matte?

If you are working with native 16:9 you might want to take a look at this tool that I built. I also have a 2.40:1 version.

Cinemascope Toolkit

-paul.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2013 at 11:45:59 pm

I've never worked with the 4k/5k formats, but I thought you would just work with proxy which is quarter res?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 4, 2013 at 6:54:04 pm

[Bret Williams] "proxy which is quarter res"

Not sure about "quarter res" ... the proxies were 2560x1080, the original 5K footage is 5120x2160.

Irregardless, it's the ASPECT we are discussing. We have a 2.40:1 project option in 5K, but not in HD.

I personally think its a miss, but I don't design software for a living. I just complain about it! :)

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 5, 2013 at 1:33:58 am

[Jason Brown] "Irregardless, it's the ASPECT we are discussing. We have a 2.40:1 project option in 5K, but not in HD.
"

EH?
You are the one not following the existing standards for deliverables.

If you plan on delivering 1080, you should have shot something that fit the screen. Its not a software issue, IMHO it's a user not working to a fixed deliverable.

No theatre I know of displays 5k?
2K,4K and 8K yes,but 5K is a RED Only format.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:40:18 am

FYI... someone came up with a workflow for odd frames. Create a photoshop still with the dimensions you want... bring it into your event. Open the psd in timeline mode and start editing. The psd becomes a compound clip in your event, and you can edit at will.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:42:41 am

Our delivery is custom on this project. We shot one piece that plays on 2 screens, one is 6750x1080 (5k Scaled by 132%) and the others are standard 16x9. My hope was to sent out pixels and not have black bars on my send out (letting the playback software do that).

It's not a huge deal, I was just trying to understand it better

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]