FORUMS: list search recent posts

import clips into existing keyword collection

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
import clips into existing keyword collection
on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:56:36 am

Is this possible? Seems pretty obvious...but seems it can only create new keyword collection from a folder import or you have to import and then find and drag newly imported clips.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: import clips into existing keyword collection
on Apr 3, 2013 at 4:21:02 am

Depends. Are you importing files that play natively or files that need to be "imported" in some way (like from a card, etc.).

If the former, just drag the files from the finder directly to the keyword collection.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 3, 2013 at 5:09:22 am

I was using clips from a folder, so I could do that.

I'm confused, because sometimes when I drag clips from finder to the
event, it copies the media to the event folder. I would rather keep
links, how is this determined?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 3, 2013 at 5:57:24 am

[Jason Brown] "I'm confused, because sometimes when I drag clips from finder to the
event, it copies the media to the event folder."

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, I'm not sure you really want to "finder copy" clips into an event. You really should use the provided IMPORT function so that the clips go through the internal database process where X makes all the proper links to and from the database. When you do that, every time you create a new event, you can select whether or not you want that event to "Copy files the the Final Cut Events Folder"

If you deselect this, then X just creates links to the current clip locations - so it's important to have a strategy as to where you locate them, because if you move them, you'll need to find and re-link them subsequently.

Drag and drop isn't typically your friend for any database, really - because they're typically kinda finicky about how and where things are stored and linked.

This all presumes I'm understanding what you're doing - which isn't certain at all!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Marco Feil
on Apr 3, 2013 at 10:35:23 am

this behaviour depends on your import settings - if it's set to "copy to event" the drag&drop always copies the media.

but here's a trick: if you uncheck "copy media to event" in preferences it defaults to "make links", but you can hold the ALT key while drag&drop to switch to "copy to event" on the fly. the cursor changes to reflect the used operation - green plus-sign for "copy to event" and black arrow for "make links to media".

Return to posts index

Matt Trubac
on Apr 3, 2013 at 12:20:00 pm

Drag And Drop From Finder To Keywords In X Is Good. Also, Import Folder Names As Keyword Collections Works. If You Add Media To A Folder And Reimport The Entire folder With The Folder / Keyword Option Selected, Duplicate Clips Are Not Created. It Only Imports The New Files Into The Already Existing Keyword Collection. At Least This Is How It Went In 10.0.7.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:09:15 pm

OK, so I didn't realize there were import options in preferences...I thought that dialogue was only when importing.

So, if I change to "copy files to event folder" during one import, does it change the preference? Or is it just that single import that will override what my preference settings are?

Also, nice tip on alt+drag...maybe I should keep it off all the time, option drag when I want to copy items to event folder and always work out of finder+FCPX instead of using the import dialogue.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2013 at 6:21:18 pm

I only use the import dialog for non-native stuff. Only once have I used it, with some AVC-Intra stuff we shot. The rest is DSLR stuff and producers usually bring me Pro-Res. They oftenly do a rough edit in X or 7 and/or have already converted to pro-res. other times its ProRes from a Ki Pro or the camera op/tech converts.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:40:15 am

[Bret Williams] "I only use the import dialog for non-native stuff."

To each their own.

When I come back from the field, I like rough deleting some of the crap ahead of and behind my takes so using the import dialog and defining Ranges for import rather than just sucking in everything is less distracting to me.

Then again, if I wasn't shooting my own stuff, I'd want to see EVERYTHING coming in from the field just to get my head around the footage - so both processes have their place.

But that's X. Lots of ways to get to the same place.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]