FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX crashing and I haven't found a SINGLE person with the same issue, Danny Greer at Premiumbeat sent me here!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Peterson
FCPX crashing and I haven't found a SINGLE person with the same issue, Danny Greer at Premiumbeat sent me here!
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:29:42 pm

As the subject states, I was working with the Danny Greer at Premiumbeat as they write great tutorials etc, and after reading everything about everything when it comes to FCPX crashing not even they could offer a solution as they have never heard of the problem.

Below is my original email to Danny who suggested I put it on this forum as someone has GOT to have the same problem as I do.

Hello,

I have read EVERY SINGLE article you have about final cut pro X crashing and NOTHING has fixed my problem. You're articles seem to be the most informative so I thought I would ask you guys. I also, haven't ran into ANYONE else that has my exact problem. I am seriously at my breaking point and about ready to break my laptop in half and switch to a PC with Adobe.... I am literally going insane!!!

Late 2008 Macbook Pro, 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo, 8GB ram, Lion 10.7.5 with FCPX 10.7

Every time I open it and do anything, and I mean anything, it goes to the wheel of death and crashes my entire computer. If I force quit and reopen it just says my disks are in use and need to be re mounted, if I try to eject and remount disks it goes to grey screen, if I try to restart it goes to grey screen, the ONLY way to even use the computer is a hard restart. Once I restart and open FCPX it just goes right to the spinning wheel of death.

Again, I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING IN EVERY ARTICLE YOU HAVE WRITTEN along with erasing and reformatting my drives (internal & external) reloading FCPX and my OS. Trash preferences, media manager blah blah blah I have tried it all WITH ZERO results....

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: FCPX crashing and I haven't found a SINGLE person with the same issue, Danny Greer at Premiumbeat sent me here!
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:59:03 pm

Have you considered hardware issues? Bad ram can cause these symptoms.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: FCPX crashing and I haven't found a SINGLE person with the same issue, Danny Greer at Premiumbeat sent me here!
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:05:27 pm

HI Aaron, that sounds terrible. Have you considered updating to 10.08 and installing Mountain Lion?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:22:09 pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I am running 10.8.3 and still the same issue.

As far "what changed since it was working" absolutely NOTHING!!!

It worked great for me, for about 8 months and then I was working on a project and got the spinning wheel of death and it's never worked the same since. That is when I started changing things, reformatting drives, upgrading OS, trying new drives, new RAM, uninstall, reinstall, etc etc etc...

I would also like to point out that I am running it stock, meaning no third party plugins or anything. I know this laptop is older (late 2008) but it's above all of the minimum requirements to run the software and I talk to other people that are flying through projects on the same machine.

Any chance the actual internal hard drive is bad?

I just wish there was someone in the http://WWW that has even heard of this before...

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:58:49 pm

Since it seems to be unique to you (sorry) wouldn't that point to A) bad hardware or B) bad media? Have you tried your projects and events (or better yet, copies of them) on a different machine?

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:41:49 pm

And that machine is really really pushing the limit. 8gigs and an intel core2duo. But Id think it'd just make it slow.

Swap out the RAM if you've tried everything else. It's super cheap.

If you haven't, try completely reformatting the drive, and at least 1 external where your media lives. Then install the is and X. Then start a brand new project and see how it goes. Don't hook up any hardware, don't add a single thing or even check your email.

You can also swap the internal drive really cheap too.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:47:41 pm

You know if you've never updated that HD since buying, there's a really strong chance the drive is dying. After 2 years I start getting really nervous with laptop drives. I've seen an insane amount of them die in the last year or two. I would recommend you run a time machine backup ASAP if you can.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:14:52 pm

Yeah, I knew this machine IS on the low end to handle video but, I have gotten new RAM and reformatted everything that you mentioned etc. No difference.

I haven't got a new HD for the laptop though so, thanks for that tip. I have a desktop that I am going to try soon.

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:13:27 pm

Yes, I have tried all of that except moving them to a different machine, that is my last resort that I am planning on doing soon. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rick Foxx
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:54:33 pm

This sounds a lot like an issue I was having a few weeks ago. My solution was to create a new user account. As soon as I started FCPX under the new user, everything ran smoothly.

MacPro 8 core 2.8 gHz, 16GB RAM, Assorted Firewire Hard Drives, Final Cut Studio 3, Final Cut X, Adobe Production Premium CS6, Logic 8

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:15:27 pm

Thank you for the tip! I have already tried this with no luck though.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:05:05 pm

Seems like you could take out half the ram to test it. It SHOULD run on 4gb. They try the other half of the ram.

And do you have a backup of your hard drive? Can you boot up off the backup drive and see if it runs any better? That might help you determine if it's the internal drive.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:15:24 pm

This sounds like a hardware issue. Have you been getting kernel panics?

Can you boot from an install disk or external drive? Have you tried Disk Warrior on your system drive?

How about OSX recovery since you are on Mountain Lion?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

anickt

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:22:37 pm

No Kernel panics and I have not done disk warrior.

I have used the disk utility several times on both internal and external drives and it always says they are good.

Also, someone mentioned about testing the RAM. I truly believe it's fine. I had 4GB and it worked as it should, I upgraded to 8GB of brand new RAM and it still indicates that's it's there and working fine. In my activity monitor it has always shown that I have PLENTY of CPU to run FCPX.

Even when it is locked up FCPX is only using minimal CPU and I have almost 6GB of free RAM.

I have not booted from an external drive but, am going to give it a try.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Apr 2, 2013 at 6:26:24 pm

Silly question..

You have got your project and event (and media) on an external drive haven't you?

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:23:07 pm

you betcha!

I even use media manager so i am only loading the exact project/event I am working. That way FCPX doesn't have to make ALL of the media available, JUST the media I am trying to use at that time.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Apr 2, 2013 at 7:22:23 pm

[Aaron Peterson] "No Kernel panics and I have not done disk warrior."

I suggest Disk Warrior also. I had "hardware problems" with an older Dual G5 for a couple of years and did troubleshooting with Apple, Macsales.com, local Apple repairs stores, and forums. I tried all the RAM and other hardware suggestions and nothing worked. I finally got off my cheap butt and bought the $100 Disk Warrior. It not only solved "slow" issues with my two laptops (one of which is identical to yours), but then for the fun of it with nothing to lose, I ran it on the Dual G5.

It turned out the directory structure was so hosed on that OS that I had trouble even getting it booted, but I was able to finally run Disk Warrior. It completely solved all the issues and has not crashed once since the fix.

In my experience, Repairing Permissions does virtually nothing (although I run it anyway), but Disk Warrior should be mandatory with every purchase of a Mac.

Good luck,
Dave

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:26:06 pm

Thanks for the advice.

All of this equipment is "works" my personal editing platform still runs FCP7 with no issues.

I am honestly not that familiar with the disk warrior but will look into it. Unfortunately getting my work to even spend $100 takes weeks / sometime months! Not that they WON'T spend the money but, just the red tape / procedures required to get approval.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:41:12 pm

What does your system log in the console say? If it's a bad hard drive you should be getting disk i/o errors.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:03:28 pm

WOW Thanks! We might be getting somewhere....

I viewed the log and filter "Disk I/O" and didn't really see anything but, then I just filtered "error" and there are a plethora of them, and plenty are relating to FCPX.

So, I don't really know what all of these mean but in the last two days alone I keep seeing the following.

Apr 1 16:02:31 AJs-MacBook-Pro.local Final Cut Pro[338]: *** OpenGL error 0x0506 (invalid framebuffer operation) in function "GL_CHECK_CURRENT_ERROR"

Apr 2 15:38:30 AJs-MacBook-Pro.local Final Cut Pro[547]: Error: NSProCommonAssetStorage -initWithPath: No storage file found at (null)

I also just realized I am getting kernel errors like this.

Apr 2 11:29:47 AJs-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: [SendHCIRequestFormatted] ### ERROR: [0x1009] (Read Device Address) -- Send request failed (err = 0xE00002ED (kIOReturnNotResponding))

And this

Apr 2 12:20:57 AJs-MacBook-Pro.local mDNSResponder[39]: 21: Could not write data to clientPID[-1]() because of error - aborting connection

Honestly, this list goes on and on. I probably have a thousand errors in the last week.

Can anyone else make sense of these?

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:08:39 pm

Can you recreate the crash and post the messages that pop up right around the crash? Or look for a time that you know the crash happened and post them? There's usually a clue, that openGL one definitely seems suspicious.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:04:29 pm

Will do, thanks!

Return to posts index

Emiliano Tidona
on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:39:24 pm

Osx drive test doesen't work. I would replace the disk

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Apr 2, 2013 at 10:04:52 pm

Sorry if you have already tried this but I recommend the pro maintenance suite from Digital Rebellion:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance/

You can download and try it free so you won't have red tape issues with payment. Trash preferences for starters. But--there is a crash log analyzer that is very handy.

And a corrupt file finder, too. (Although based on the thread you may have disk/hardware issues).

I always trash prefs and delete project and event render files when I am having issues FWIW. Remember, no still images greater than 4000 pixels or FCPX will throw up,too. Resize them down before importing.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Apr 3, 2013 at 7:53:01 am

The problem you are having is not at all typical. I've had many dozen Macs since 1984 and only 4 times have I had serious hardware with an Apple supplied part beyond a failed hard drive.

You have a bunch of possibilities for the smoking gun. GPU, Ram, motherboard, hard drive, OS. But unless you have a desire to bang your head against the wall, bring the machine into an Apple store and show them the issue with FCPX failing to launch. They will diagnosis it for no charge, although it will more than likely take at least 24 hours. For a 2008 machine I believe they have a flat rate repair, but I don't know in your case.

I can totally understand why FCPX would show a problem on your system where FCP7 does not. FCPX uses the hardware in ways that FCP7 just doesn't do. GPU, filling all CPU cores, etc.

Also, according to the Final Cut Pro X requirements page, http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/specs/ 2 GB of ram is the minimum. And I was running FCPX on a 2007 MacBook Pro with just 4gb of ram for over a year.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:05:08 pm

Thank you for the advice!

Return to posts index

Jan Franzen
on Apr 3, 2013 at 8:36:47 am

Sorry if I have missed it in the long thread but have you tried to empty the event and project folders on your HD and started FCPX clean ? Still crashing?

Mac Pro 2x2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon 12Gb/1066 DDR3 Caldigit VR external Raid 1 Speed about 80Mb/sec FCPX latest

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:05:50 pm

No problem, and yes I have tried that with no luck.

Thank you for the tip though!

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:04:00 pm

Trying it today. thank you!

Return to posts index

Aaron Peterson
on Apr 3, 2013 at 1:23:00 pm

Thanks again for this advice but, I ran it and it didn't find anything.

Return to posts index

Krzysztof Szychowski
on Apr 4, 2013 at 2:35:26 pm

Hello

Are you using any third part Audio Units? I have found 2 that were causing FCPX disruption:
u-he plugins http://www.u-he.com/cms/

and
Argotlunar http://argotlunar.info/

The later plugin uses the Juce http://rawmaterialsoftware.com/juce.php
and though plugins using this do crash FCPX, it is an apple bug, not a plugin bug.

My suggestion is to remove all your Audio Units, see it FCPX starts up correctly and if it does, then load in the AU's by manufacturer.....start FCPX...quit...on and on.

Hope this helps

regards

Krzysztof

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]