FORUMS: list search recent posts

export creates banding

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Brown
export creates banding
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:46:35 pm

I am trying to export a prores222(hq) video to prores222 (hq). When it plays in final cut there are no banding issue.

In every export I have done, there is severe banding wherever a transition is. At the beginning of the film, a fade from white transition bands badly on top of a grey background.

It is frustrating because I keep playing it in final cut and there is no problem.

I am wondering if there is a setup through compressor I can use to get rid of this problem? I don't need to be in prores, could go to any high quality format.

thanks!
jacob

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
Re: export creates banding
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:16:31 pm

Just curious, are you watching the video in final cut at 100%? Scaling up or down can hide some artifacting.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, and entertainment for your couch.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:21:53 pm

yup, i've watched it full screen, in window, everything. both in FCPX and quicktime and VLC

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:44:05 pm

[Jacob Brown] "In every export I have done, there is severe banding wherever a transition is. At the beginning of the film, a fade from white transition bands badly on top of a grey background.
"

OK, Jacob.
FCP sees the ProRes video as 10bit, what ever app you are viewing the file in is only seeing the 8bit ( like the QT player on either platform)

TURN OFF any realtime processing- all of that in FCP or avid is only 8bit, set FCP to Safe and render the file out to see if it is still there.

You don't say what you are playing on or how you are viewing the file, best guest here is that you are not working within the SMPTE spec (density locked btw 16-235) so your whites are too high and your blacks to low to start.

An easy fix is to process the clips with a bit of noise, 1%-3% is usually enough to clean the image contours.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]