FORUMS: list search recent posts

X to 7 and premiere weirdness/warning

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
X to 7 and premiere weirdness/warning
on Apr 1, 2013 at 4:46:35 pm

Here's an interesting one. I got Xto7 and am very impressed. What I'm not impressed about is how Premiere screws up my FCP X project afterwards.

I'm using xto7 to transfer a FCPX sequence to premiere. Works. But after Premiere has touched the project files, they are now marked as "modified file" in FCP X. It's only the h264s FWIW. ProRes animation and stock footage and wavs are fine. WTF has Premiere done to the source media?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: X to 7 and premiere weirdness/warning
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:00:03 pm

Turn off the XMP metadata settings in the import preferences for PPro.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:35:23 pm

Thanks! Too late now though...

Thankfully I was just playing with a completed consolidated project. So one more vote for "we need to fix this relinking crap and allow to force a relink!"

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:39:06 pm

I've got 2 -

Write XMP ID to Files on import (definitely turning that crap off)

But how about
Enable clip and XMP Metadata linking

What else can I turn off that is gonna screw up my system?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:40:41 pm

I think it's just the "write XMP ID", since that is modifying the source files.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:01:35 pm

QTEdit can strip XMP metadata out of Qt files.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:23:06 pm

Can't figure out what app that is. Get lots of ProTools links. Who makes it? Free?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:39:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "QTEdit can strip XMP metadata out of Qt files.
"

Just tried it on a file... didn't seem to work. Fortunately it's from a project that's done, but if this had happened in mid job, I would be completely f*cked. Hope everyones sending feedback to apple about this, I have... Oh, and Bret, it's part of Digital Rebellions' pro media tools. a free trail is downloadable...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:55:39 pm

Yeah, this was a finished, consolidated project stil on the raid. I have the original camera files elsewhere, but it screwed up other stuff too, like AE renders and converted stock media. Going to be a pain in the a to repair it all. Probably 40 or 50 shots. One by one if the QTedit doesn't work.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 1, 2013 at 11:15:08 pm

[Bret Williams] "Yeah, this was a finished, consolidated project stil on the raid. I have the original camera files elsewhere, but it screwed up other stuff too, like AE renders and converted stock media. Going to be a pain in the a to repair it all. Probably 40 or 50 shots. One by one if the QTedit doesn't work."

Bummer. i'm of 2 minds about this... One mind says that FCPX is being ridiculously anal about relinking. Which is probably true. If I cut from offline pix with window burns etc, and then want to relink a cut to final picture, with exactly the same TC and duration but in a different format etc, is that even possible? it should be. The old "This may blow up in your face. Do it anyway?" dialog. ;-}

The other mind says... what kind of idiotic app writes data to a master file without at least warning you it's doing so? At least FCP 7 would say "you're about to modify a source file. are you sure you want to?"

Oh well... more things to complain to Apple about. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 1, 2013 at 11:57:54 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Just tried it on a file... didn't seem to work. Fortunately it's from a project that's done, but if this had happened in mid job, I would be completely f*cked."

XMP file modification has been part of Adobe's workflow for a long time so I usually shut off the XMP options (this has to be done in Ae as well).

In FCP7, XMP injection simply knocks render files loose, which can be a pain, but not devastating.

Reconnection in FCPX needs some retooling, absolutely.

FWIW, I have mistakenly left the option on, and the files flash that they are disconnected in FCPX, but then they relink. I don't seem to have an issue of XMP knocking the files completely offline.

Stripping the XMP metadata works for me in Qt Edit.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 12:06:06 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Charlie Austin] "Just tried it on a file... didn't seem to work. Fortunately it's from a project that's done, but if this had happened in mid job, I would be completely f*cked."

XMP file modification has been part of Adobe's workflow for a long time so I usually shut off the XMP options (this has to be done in Ae as well).

In FCP7, XMP injection simply knocks render files loose, which can be a pain, but not devastating.

Reconnection in FCPX needs some retooling, absolutely.

FWIW, I have mistakenly left the option on, and the files flash that they are disconnected in FCPX, but then they relink. I don't seem to have an issue of XMP knocking the files completely offline.

Stripping the XMP metadata works for me in Qt Edit.
"

The problem I run into, in a shared media environment, is that everyone didn't know the havoc this could cause. They do now... >:-| This has happened a couple of times, both times with projects that were done, but it's a bit... disconcerting. In both cases the file was exactly the same, save for some sort of metadata being written to it, which was signaled by the files' modification date changing. Same size, same format, same audio configuration... same file. No problem at all in FCP 7, but X just plain refuses to relink. Also, the error message states that there's not enough media or something, which is just plain wrong. Again... disconcerting...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 2, 2013 at 12:21:08 am

[Charlie Austin] "The problem I run into, in a shared media environment, is that everyone didn't know the havoc this could cause. "

Let's back up a second.

This is footage on a SAN?

I assume your are using aliased links or is this media in the Event?

XMP does not seem to trip up my files on the SAN here.

Have you tried simply dragging a file back in to see if it reconnects? It should have the little "alias" arrow not a green plus sign.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 12:27:29 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Charlie Austin] "The problem I run into, in a shared media environment, is that everyone didn't know the havoc this could cause. "

Let's back up a second.

This is footage on a SAN?

I assume your are using aliased links or is this media in the Event?

XMP does not seem to trip up my files on the SAN here.

Have you tried simply dragging a file back in to see if it reconnects? It should have the little "alias" arrow not a green plus sign."

Not a SAN, on NAS... central RAID served over gigabit ethernet. And yes, linked files, not in the event, which is local. tried dragging it in again, no change, the file I dragged in shows up right next to the offline "file" in the event browser. Nothing relinks...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:27:23 am

[Charlie Austin] " Also, the error message states that there's not enough media or something, which is just plain wrong."

Yeah, that is wrong. I wonder what would be different (besides the obvious) from SAN and NAS XMP modified files.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:29:31 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Charlie Austin] " Also, the error message states that there's not enough media or something, which is just plain wrong."

Yeah, that is wrong. I wonder what would be different (besides the obvious) from SAN and NAS XMP modified files.
"

No clue. I guess the current "solution" is be certain that nobody opens a master file in any Adobe app with out first turning XMP write off...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:38:52 am

I have tried everything too. Reimport puts it right next to the other. My files are all local on the Pegasus. Some originals, some optimized, some AE renders that are linked, etc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:56:51 am

[Bret Williams] "I have tried everything too. Reimport puts it right next to the other. My files are all local on the Pegasus. Some originals, some optimized, some AE renders that are linked, etc.
"

Even more frustrating is the fact that the symlink/alias/whatever in the Finder, reveals the original just fine, so there really is something odd in the XMP data that X doesn't like...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:44:57 am

I might do some tests after I fix this pile o sheet that Adobe created for me. But I think that it's just the modification date. AND possibly that I had X open at the time. Perhaps the times Jeremy said his complained, but then relinked, that his FCP X had been off when the modification occurred. Mine was on, and so the files changed right under X's nose and I guess it got jealous or something.

But the modification date is the reason it kicks off in 7. I'm starting to remember playing with going FCP 7 to XML to Premiere a year or two ago and getting just as ticked that my 3 hour render was kaput. But if a file is modified, then the render is no longer relevant. So that made sense. I should've learned my lesson back then, but didn't seem like such a horrible thing. I rerendered and forgot about it. Til now.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:04:20 am

[Bret Williams] "Perhaps the times Jeremy said his complained, but then relinked, that his FCP X had been off when the modification occurred. Mine was on, and so the files changed right under X's nose and I guess it got jealous or something."

No, I can watch it happen with Pr, FCPX, and QT Edit all open and change any file and everything stays linked everywhere.

This is on local or SAN, modified creation date and all.

Date should have nothing to do with it. Fcpx is picky about length, audio channel configuration, and type.

What type of media is this?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:11:17 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Date should have nothing to do with it. Fcpx is picky about length, audio channel configuration, and type.

What type of media is this?"

Agreed, which is why this is so weird. As far as I can tell, and I looked pretty hard, the only discernable difference between the online and offline files, is the creation date. Invisible is whatever the XMP data was. This has happened to me twice. Once with a DV source clip, once with a Prores file. Both about 2 hours in length. In the first case, I had another copy of the original on my local drive. When I replaced the "modified" version with that one on the server, it relinked just fine. This recent time, I unfortunately had tossed the copy of the original that I had. Very odd. I've pinged Apple about it...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:13:31 am

I just posted that rebellion fixed it. It was mainly DSLR footage from a 5D mk II. BUT, some was AE pro res renders, and some was stock footage that had been transcoded to ProRes.

So yeah, modification date didn't matter (although I guess it does for the render files in 7?). Removing the XMP data was instant fix.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:56:41 am

[Bret Williams] "
Thanks again!"

I'm not only the forums squeakiest wheel, but I'm also a client.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 2, 2013 at 5:11:06 am

'

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:10:17 am

And Digital Rebellion did the trick. Batch removed (5 clips at a time with the trial version) the XMP data from the afflicted files. Opened up FCP X and it's all happy again. Thank you Jeremy and Charlie!

Who says there's no FCP X suite? It's FCP X, Motion, Compressor, 7 to X, Event X, 7 to X, and Digital Rebellion

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 2, 2013 at 4:14:03 am

[Bret Williams] "And Digital Rebellion did the trick. Batch removed (5 clips at a time with the trial version) the XMP data from the afflicted files. Opened up FCP X and it's all happy again. Thank you Jeremy and Charlie!"

Nice!... sadly didn't work for me... maybe another issue but I've got no clue what it could be. I know it was opened in AE with the Write XMP function turned on, so I really don't have a clue. I'll try the QT Edit again tomorrow. Anyway, glad you're back up!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]