FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D Mark III Free Run Timecode in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Mora
Canon 5D Mark III Free Run Timecode in FCPX?
on Mar 31, 2013 at 10:56:46 pm

I'm not seeing Free Run timecode from my Canon 5D Mark III after importing into Final Cut Pro X. I can see the correct timecode for these files in Quicktime Player 7. I can't find any discussion of this problem anywhere. I'm sure I've either missed something simple. Can anyone help explain this, or even better, offer a solution? Help!

- Carlos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Canon 5D Mark III Free Run Timecode in FCPX?
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:41:27 am

I think the only place you're gonna get TC from your Canon is by log and capture in FCP 7 with the Canon plugin. I don't get TC from them in X.

Return to posts index

Carlos Mora
on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:27:56 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Bret. I find it really strange that Apple's own Quicktime Player 7 can read the timecode but FCPX can't. What a bummer.

Return to posts index

Carlos Mora
on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:46:38 pm

I think I've found the source of the issue and it probably applies to any camera that does not embed a reelname into the metadata. While researching a solution, an editor I spoke to recommended I check out QTChange from VideoToolShed in order to add TC to my files. Reading the product description page, I came across this statement:

"FcpX only reads timecode if there is a Reelname present.
QTchange is now FcpX compatible, but you cannot leave the reelname empty!"

Looking through my media, I found this to be true of any clip that did not have a reelname at the time of import, including Canon and DriftCam files. After running the clips through QTChange and simply adding a reelname to the metadata, FCPX could suddenly read the time-of-day TC embedded in the clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]