FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working between offline and online in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elahn Zetlin
Working between offline and online in FCPX
on Mar 31, 2013 at 9:56:30 am

I've been working on a project using media that's been transcoded to mpeg files and compressed to a smaller frame size and file size, so I can work on an offline with media that has been sent via FTP.
I now have a problem that the original media, which was posted to me on a HDD, is a ProRes movie file and I can't relink the timeline to the online footage even though the file names are all the same (except for the .mpeg / .mov extension).
Any suggestions and/or work-arounds?
Much appreciated all,
Elahn.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Working between offline and online in FCPX
on Mar 31, 2013 at 7:04:04 pm

You're probably going to have to replace your clips manually. FCP X works offline using Apple Pro Res Proxy, this is what you should have received. The mpgs are not a compatible editing format, even in FCP7 you would need to convert them. it is possible to link files in with the same name and duration in FCP7, you do not have this option in FCPX. So when you ingest those mpgs FCP X optimizes them, creating full-quality Apple Pro Res files from that. When you try to reconnect to the original files, FCPX doesn't understand them, since there is no Metadata linking to a Project. X sees your mpgs as the source.

Did you create a new Event with the original ProRes files? Then you can change the referenced event of the Project. This is done by going to the Project list view and changing the referenced event in the information window. If this does not work you will have to replace your clips manually.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Working between offline and online in FCPX
on Mar 31, 2013 at 11:06:08 pm

The one thing you might try is manually messing with the contents of the original media, optimised media and proxy media folders. Using the Finder, put the proxy media in the appropriate folder and the full-res media in the Original Media folder, restart FCPX and see if it makes the connection on it's own.

I've done that in the past with proxies created outside of FCPX although it was a couple of versions ago and the proxies were always ProRes Proxy format. I'd convert them if that's not how they were sent.

As a last resort, you could send the edit out to something like Resolve, relink the footage there, and bring it back to FCPX.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]