FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I add more memory to MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Wittman
Should I add more memory to MacBook Pro
on Mar 30, 2013 at 4:45:34 pm

Hey Cowhands!

I feel the need for speed. I was interested in upgrading my 8GB of RAM memory in my MacBook Pro 17" laptop. I read somewhere that upgrading from 8 to 16GB did not make much difference. I would think that it might really help with render times, etc. I work with FCPX, Motion and Photoshop running Lion OS.

Here is my computer info:
===============================
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.70f5
Hardware UUID: 9D90DF9A-FFBF-5B3C-81BA-7881CAEA8E92
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
================================

I was also reading about clock speed choices in RAM chips.
I don't really understand.

Any advice for the old man?

Bruce Wittman
Executive Producer

Eagle Video Productions, Inc.
2201 Woodnell Drive
Raleigh, NC 27603-5240

Email: bruce@eaglevideo.com

pho: 919-779-7891
cel: 919-818-5556

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Should I add more memory to MacBook Pro
on Mar 30, 2013 at 5:37:53 pm

The answer to your question is always YES. Add as much RAM as your system allows.

To simplify this, I recommend Other World Computing's site as they can tell you EXACTLY what RAM you need and I've always found their RAM (and other product) pricing to be very competitive with even the lowest of the price vendors (Frys Electronics, usually).

HTH,
Tim

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:26:12 pm

Bruce,

I agree and disagree with Tim. I have the exact same model MBP as you do, the i7, 17" 8,3. I upgraded from 8 to 16 GB and it did absolutely nothing for my particular workflow. I edit three 45 minute classes every week that I export from Screenflow as H.264 files, edit in FCPX without using proxy or optimized files and it works great (I also never render). The upgrade to 16 GB made zero difference with my fairly low stress workflow. I do some color correcting and add audio filters, use a lot of lower 3rd annotations, and some transitions, but that's about it.

But, I do agree that the RAM upgrade at Macsales.com (OWC) is a complete no-brainer and that you should do it. Their video tutorials are excellent (I pull them up on my wife's laptop as I take apart my own).

I also, at the same time as the RAM upgrade, removed my optical drive, moved the boot drive to it's place, and in the boot drive slot added a Seagate Hybrid drive as my media drive. I could not be happier with this upgrade. It benchmarks as fast as my 2-drive RAID 0 eSATA enclosure, but I can edit anywhere at any time with the extra media drive built-in. I even get 90-120 minutes of edit time on battery.

Sorry if I over answered, but it's nice to see someone else with the same MBP. I do find the extra RAM helpful in general, but just not specifically for editing at this time. If I change my workflow, the RAM will be there if I need it.

Dave

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 31, 2013 at 5:11:25 am

Now that Apple has decided dvd players should be history or external, it would be a great option to order either a macbook pro or Imac with a system and media drive, for exactly the reason you gave - all in one editing machines. It would be even cooler if they had a slot where you could swap out your media drives. It will be interesting to see the new Mac Pro. I'm thinking some kind of modular design rather than the big enclosure that some don't take advantage of, some find inadequate and a few find just right.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 31, 2013 at 10:36:03 am

[Craig Alan] " It would be even cooler if they had a slot where you could swap out your media drives."

Agreed. But, with the Seagate Momentus 750 GB Hybrid media drive, I just add/remove what files I need to external drives and it works really well. I also have a bus-powered FW800 drive that is dedicated to just backing up the Seagate media drive. It's pretty easy to be anywhere with or without power and even be able to back it up.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]