FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transfering FCP Event and Clips from Laptop to an iMac question?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gold
Transfering FCP Event and Clips from Laptop to an iMac question?
on Mar 30, 2013 at 5:19:14 am

Any help on this is appreciated. I've edited and put together a three minute edit of maybe 30 clips or so from 2 32 Gig SD cards for my feature. I have started editing on my laptop and want to transfer the edits, clips and event (and especially the color grading/filters that I did in FCP X) to my iMac since my laptop is getting slow and will not be able to hold a feature on it's own hard-drive.

My question is, will all the footage/filters stay in tact when I move the event and media or do I need to re-upload all the clips again if transferring it via external hard-drive to the iMac and the FCP on the iMac (which will be a completely new FCP X, nothing in it)? A

nd if I do have to re-upload the clips, do I need to then re-do the color correction/filters? (basically all I did was pull down the exposure in the blacks and do a few filters here and there, some vignetting filters, some grain filters, etc).

Also, it's part of my feature length movie and I'm going to be transferring the event, etc onto my iMac. How much TB would an iMac be able to handle (got it in 2013, it's the desktop monitor with built in memory - 16 gig RAM, no tower type). Obviously I'd rather have it on external drives, but I'm curious on how much memory can actually be on the iMac before it starts working slow and crashing/not working? Is there even a limit? Any idea on this? Not as important as the first question, I'm just curious. It's a 2013 model.

I'm also looking into buying a quality external or desktop drive that's reliable that is cost effective but works very well. I'd need two drives, maybe three. One being the main, one being a backup and the other being a backup backup which I'll keep locked away.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Transfering FCP Event and Clips from Laptop to an iMac question?
on Mar 30, 2013 at 10:09:37 am

[Scott Gold] " My question is, will all the footage/filters stay in tact when I move the event and media or do I need to re-upload all the clips again if transferring it via external hard-drive to the iMac and the FCP on the iMac (which will be a completely new FCP X, nothing in it)? A"

Sure will! If you drag the Project from your drive to an external drive (inside of FCPX) it'll prompt you to move the project with/without the events necessary.

[Scott Gold] " How much TB would an iMac be able to handle (got it in 2013, it's the desktop monitor with built in memory - 16 gig RAM, no tower type). Obviously I'd rather have it on external drives, but I'm curious on how much memory can actually be on the iMac before it starts working slow and crashing/not working? Is there even a limit? Any idea on this? Not as important as the first question, I'm just curious. It's a 2013 model."

How much storage? Limited only by what you plug in. I have right now 12TB connected to my system - and you'd prefer it as an external drive. The general rule is that you want to keep as little media on your system drive as possible. You need to keep a minimum of 2x the ram free as storage (so a minimum of 32 gigs on a 16 gig system) for swap files (some memory gets 'swapped' to the hard drive when you run too many other pieces of software.) But I'd suggest sticking to external drives for your media.

[Scott Gold] " I'm also looking into buying a quality external or desktop drive that's reliable that is cost effective but works very well. I'd need two drives, maybe three. One being the main, one being a backup and the other being a backup backup which I'll keep locked away."

Good, duplicated your media is smart. Truthfully, I'll recommend a drive that has good heat dissipation, as heat is probably a drives biggest enemy - I quite like Gtech for this reason. And 7200 rpm speeds please. But all drives die. All of them. They write it on the side of the box. Keep at least one backup - and professionals use a RAID, often a RAID 5 (a set of at least 4 drives) - if one drive dies, they lose nothing (and can still deliver to a client on time!)

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

Scott Gold
on Mar 30, 2013 at 3:48:08 pm

Thanks Jeff.

So when you say "If you drag the Project from your drive to an external drive (inside of FCPX) it'll prompt you to move the project with/without the events necessary. " Can you expand on this response? I am not sure what you meant by dragging the Project from my drive to an external drive (inside of FCP)? Meaning what? Maybe I'm confusing myself here. The HD will be blank, not holding any FCP programs. So will the file still be good when transfering onto a HD, taking out the cable, putting the cable into iMac and then placing it into FCP X on the desktop?

Is there a better way to do this so that it doesn't take up space on the actual desktop on the iMac? Also is there a simple way to back it up? Two or three drives me for would be (one to edit, one to back up and one to 2nd back up)

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Mar 30, 2013 at 7:41:32 pm

As long es you stick to the folder structure FCPX has you won't have a problem. Personally I move my Events and Projects manually, however you can do all of this in FCPX, once you duplicate a Project a window opens giving you several options, so you can copy your events and projects to another HD.

If your are working with the internal HD, open the movie folder and you will see a Final Cut Events and Final Cut Projects folder, inside those folders you find your Event Folder and your Project Folder.

When using an external drive the Final Cut Events and and Final Cut Projects folder should be at the root level of that drive. When you connect the HD FCPX will recognize it. When you create or copy and event or project to that drive, if its still empty, FCPx will create those folders for you.

If you do it manually all you need is to create the two folders in your new drive, then drag them from your internal folders to the external ones. You can connect the HD to any Mac running FCPX. If you use 3rd party plugins you need to make sure the other macs have them installed as well.

And very important: if you've imported the footage as reference files (not checking import into final cut events folder) then you need to copy those files to the new HD, or simply connect your footage drive to the new mac.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 31, 2013 at 5:25:37 am

I never recommend moving your files by finder dragging. It's too easy to screw up database connections.

Use either the MOVE or the DUPLICATE command inside the software. This will make sure all the reference links in the X database are updated properly.

It takes more time - but it a lot safer - and as your projects get more complex (particularly if you use clips from multiple events in a single project as your Event Browser library expands) it makes sure you don't leave any necessary linked assets behind.

FCP-X rewards PATIENCE. Give it the time to do it's organizational and background processing work behind the scenes when moving projects and you'll be a whole lot happier in the long run.

My 2 cents anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Mar 31, 2013 at 2:49:12 pm

I agree, Bill, its best to use the the software. However I do think its helpful for newbies to look inside the folder structure simply to get an understanding of what X is doing.

I got used to hiding my projects manually before the Event Manager software came out. I've never had a problem moving, hiding or duplicating Projects.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 31, 2013 at 12:17:30 pm

Go back to 'all' the events. Drag the event you want to move. You'll get a dialog box that looks like this:

Now all you have to do is choose what you want. Then delete the original project. Then delete the original media.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Scott Gold
on Apr 1, 2013 at 6:13:38 am

I tried to explain best I could in this video...any ideas guys? Jeff, seems like your graphic was in the right direction but which do you suggest based on the video?

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:37:30 pm

Hi Scott. If you're making it to NAB, feel free to come find me (email me and I'll make sure that happens) and I can show you this in person.

It sounds like you're asking this question first:
How can I move a project from drive to drive?

Drag the event - and if you want EVERYTHING, choose Duplicate project + referenced events.
****Then delete the original project + Events (as the duplicate no longer references it.)

I think though what you're asking is to move the project and only what you used from your events.

Drag the event like above, but choose Duplicate Project & Used clips. This will NOT duplicate clips you didn't use.
****Then delete the original project & events (as the duplicate no longer references it.)

One question you asked, I think, may lead to confusion.
When you delete a part of a clip in FCPX is just *rejects* that portion of a clip - it doesn't actually delete the clip. To see what I mean, in the event browser area at the top it says "Hide Rejected". Please change it to "All Clips". Regions where you've deleted a clip show up as 'red' on a clip.

No editing system really allows this:
Partially, because this would require creation of new QuickTime files (instead of one, there'd be three, the section before, after and the section you're deleting.)
Partially, because the file system has no real undo ability.

So if you had a really long interview and wanted to truly delete parts of it...it's painful.

-----
Please, please please - test this for yourself so you understand it first.
Take 4-5 clips and create a new event and a new project and see what happens when you move them around.
Note that you can go into the finder itself and look at the FCP Events and FCP Projects on any drive and see what's actually happening.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on May 15, 2013 at 8:39:39 pm

Hi Jeff,

I've tried what you describe and it doesn't quite work the way I'd expect. I want to "share" a project with a colleague. I select the project, right click and select "duplicate". Then I click "project and all used clips". I select another drive as the destination. When I open the new project, much of the media is offline. When I look into the events folder, much of the media is just reference files or aliases. I understand that "most" of these missing files or aliases are because I choose to NOT copy the media on import. But FCPX should know that and make copies anyway. It doesn't. It makes copies of aliases. That's not very smart.

G

Gordon Gurley
Director of Operations
Stanford Video

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 15, 2013 at 11:27:11 pm

[Gordon Gurley] " I understand that "most" of these missing files or aliases are because I choose to NOT copy the media on import. But FCPX should know that and make copies anyway. It doesn't. It makes copies of aliases. That's not very smart."

I didn't know that you didn't have FCPX make copies. If you indicated that and I missed it, I'm sorry.

If you want it to do it's media magic (which is really smart) you should have it do the copies. What it means now, is that if you want it to work, you'll have to force it to copy all your media first then make the copy. To do this, select the event and choose Organize event.

I'm not sure - but I think if you do it with the duplicate event, and do this step, it'll make a copy there.

As to it being smart, if the latter works, you have to promise to come back and tell us that maybe it's smarter than you thought.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]