FORUMS: list search recent posts

QuickTip: Place and name a todo marker with just keyboard

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
T. Payton
QuickTip: Place and name a todo marker with just keyboard
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:20:11 am

Todo makers are a fantastic too, but I've been underutilizing todo markers because I can't just add and name then with the keyboard. Apple thew us a bone in 10.0.6 with a unassigned keyboard command to create a todo marker, but it just creates it without letting you modify. However, now it turns out you can.

To create a todo marker with a note:

1. Navigate in your timeline or event clip and press Option-M to create and modify a marker
2. Type your note.

3. Press tab and it will highlight the "todo button" and change into a todo marker.

4. Hit return and your are back on your timeline or clip.

NOTE: I have been searching for this solution for quite some time and with recent updates it may be OS related. I discovered this with 10.0.8 with OS 10.8.3, but also found it works in 10.0.7. It might also be related to the fact that "The Touch" app installed, which activates some assisted devices in the OS.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: QuickTip: Place and name a todo marker with just keyboard
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:06:12 am

Worked for me without The Touch installed. Nice find!

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:18:14 pm

This is also working in 10.0.8 with OS 10.7.5. The Touch is installed on this machine too.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:41:08 pm

Well, hell it's about damn time. I want to know who thought that anyone who was going through the trouble of making TO DO notes for their sequence wouldn't want to do that with a keyboard shortcut...SINCE THEY HAVE TO TYPE THE NOTE ANYWAY!

It's still not a perfect solution until they make TO DO MODIFY an assignable keyboard shortcut though. Would be nice to be able to add the note in the Timeline Index as well since I'm asking for the moon.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:56:02 pm

[Andy Neil] "Would be nice to be able to add the note in the Timeline Index as well"

Can't you already do that? Just click on it and hit return and you can modify it. You can also click right on the red mini icon to mark it completed.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:36:22 pm

You're right. I misspoke. I was replying from memory. It wasn't notation that I can't do without the mouse, it's marking a to do marker as completed in the timeline index. Unless you know the shortcut for that?

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 29, 2013 at 6:48:27 pm

What part of this is new? The tab part? Because hasn't it always been possible to create and name markers just like in FCP 7? The command has always been MM. Press M to create a marker, and press M again to edit. I haven't been using todos, so if the tab thing is new that's cool, because yeah, what a pain to press MM and then have to click on the todo part.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:44:56 pm

There are two benefits I have found.

One is using a "keyboard only" method to create a marker, name it and change it to a todo.

The second is making adding these during playback to "take notes." During playback, as you notice an issue with your project, hit option-M type your note, hit tab, then return and you're back to your timeline. You could also control-space bar instead of return to get right back to playback.

Anything that keeps my hands off the mouse keeps me moving faster is a good find.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:18:55 pm

I keep reading todo as toto:

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:56:28 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I keep reading todo as toto:"

I think that is pretty appropriate. Back in the days when music vidoes were stories rather than just a multicam & CG extravaganza, Toto had a completely unnecessary shot (see below). Perhaps if the editor had the ability to make a todo marker on the fly, with the keyboard during editing, then they could avoided that embarrassing shot.

Gotta love those mullets. Or the keyboard player with sweat bands. ;)

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 29, 2013 at 10:03:54 pm

You guys would go to the freekin' band.

I went right to Dorothy.

One of the greatest lines in the history of Cinema since it can be dragged out in a million situations and still be perfectly relevant.

Plus you want your SPECIAL EFFECTS - here you go. Little People hidden in the plants and a Girl traveling in a damn BUBBLE. (eat your heart out Dr. Who - a tardis seems so clunky by comparison, no?)

Long before most any of us were born and still great today.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]