FORUMS: list search recent posts

recommendations for a decent, low-priced video camera to use with FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shea A.J. Comfort
recommendations for a decent, low-priced video camera to use with FCPX
on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:29:56 pm

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if this is not the place to post this, but I wanted to be sure my choice would work with FCPX.

I am currently making basic product & interview videos for a small company's website. We have been limping along with an old Canon XL1-S DV camera. I have argued for and have been allowed to shop for a newer HD alternative. The only thing I need to make sure of is that it has 2 XLR inputs (for our lav mics), and works well with FCPX...

Most of our shooting will be in our small studio with a green screen, with occasional trips out to various indoor locations.

We are on a pretty tight budget, so please keep that in mind for any recommendations. I have noticed that B&H has a Canon XA10 HD camera for 1,500.00$ This seems like a good idea, but I was wondering if there was something I should be looking at otherwise, or perhaps other features I should be aware of.

I appreciate any help in advance, and if this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know and I will rectify it.

Thank you,

Shea A.J. Comfort

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
Re: recommendations for a decent, low-priced video camera to use with FCPX
on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:39:42 pm

You can always go with a used DSLR, like a GH2, and a Zoom H4n audio recorder. Depends on how much you're willing to spend. Craigslist could be your new bestie.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Shea A.J. Comfort
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:17:24 am

Thank you, Michael for the reply,

I thhought about that, but I thin I would like to have the camera do both audio and video to avoid having to sync up audio and vid each time (especially if something goes wrong for some reason)....

Do you have any camera recommendations that can do both with XLR inputs?

Thank you,

~Shea

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:20:21 am

Don't know of a good one under 1500 without researching it. Maybe someone else has some recommends. Sorry.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:29:20 am

I have been using a Canon XA10 for about 2 years and use it with FCPX. I mainly film sports (lacrosse) with it and find it works very well. It has good low light capability and can be controlled manually using the LCD touch screen. Here is a link to a video shot with it.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:32:52 am

Syncing up audio in post takes two seconds with FCPX- it's point and click easy- audio syncs with picture automatically. Really at your budget if you want decent quality the DSLR/outboard record is the way to go. "Camcoders" in this price range are of the lowly Best Buy Handycam variety. But a DSLR such as a Canon T4i or a Panasonic GH3 will give you much better image quality paired with even a $100 Zoom H1 audio recorder. One decent lens and you're all set. I'd start with the 20mm pancake. Versatile, fast and a great image.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 29, 2013 at 5:49:18 am

I would stress that good audio is almost more important than a good picture. For your interviews it matters what our subjects SAY not if they are looking to perfection.

I have a "low budget" setup also using a Zoom h4n. I mic my subject with a wireless Lav Mic, Shotgun, and the built in Zoom mics (which record great stereo ambient sound). With 4 channels of audio, I have options and a backup just in case. There have been to many times when a ruffled shirt would have ruined an interview, but with the shotgun also recording I can use it to save a shot. Then again sometimes a shotgun captures a more natural sound and is a better choice than a lav. Of course FCP X is unmatched in syncing and handling of multichannel audio. Don't be freaked out.

Also the standard for corporate work is clean DSLR with a shallow depth of field. I don't know of a dedicated camcorder in your price range that can pull it off without a 35mm adapter. WIth a DSLR you can accomplish this with a Canon in your price range with a rather inexpensive lens. For interviews I often use a 1.8/50mm that cost me a whopping $80. Also the Canon's record audio just fine, and with a splitter you can feed it multiple sources, but monitoring and seeing live levels vary my model. Plus the Mic Preamps in a dedicated recorder are just going to sound better.

On the visual side, the difference between a DLSR and a sub 2K camcorder is night and day. Also DSLRs work great for green screen.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Lloyd Aygun
on Mar 30, 2013 at 9:38:00 pm

Black Magic Cinema Camera? (If you can find one!)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 31, 2013 at 5:47:46 am

I can't recommend one in that price range but here is what I suggest:

Go to BHphoto.

do a search for sony, canon, jvc, panasonic and canon - professional camcorder. Sort by low to high price. filter for xlr. then do a search for camera reviews to check out what is being compromised at the low end from each of these companies. At that price there will be compromises but if you provide them with adequate light you should get a nice image. The tough part is the sound - audio is the hard part. A sound devices mixer either a mixpre-d or a 302 will help a lot but will cost you another $1000-$2000 dollars. Hopefully you already have a decent tripod, light kit, place to shoot, etc.

Or you can go with a DSLR that shoots HD video with their larger chips. But you'll have to go with an audio recorder or if you are not too picky some of them now have mic inputs but crappy preamps. For $1050 you can add a mixpre-d plus mount plus interconnect. That will give you two xlr inputs and very good preamp and headphone amp and limiters and filters and just a great piece of gear.

In fact I'd recommend this with a low end camcorder as well but it will bring you over budget. Remember too that a DSLR will require more attention to focus since you have a narrow depth of field.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Shea A.J. Comfort
on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:15:48 pm

Hmmm, lots to think about. But thank you all for the good suggestions. I really appreciate the feedback and the level of helpful info on this forum.

~Shea

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]