FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 Cinema locked workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
C300 Cinema locked workflow
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:26:39 pm

Hey all.

I'm editing a piece I shot yesterday on a C300, which we shot in cinema locked mode.

I've never done a full shoot in CL mode and am canvassing opinions on the best workflow. I'm editing on FCP X and have Resolve Lite as well.

So far I have backed up the files using XF utility and have exported MXFs and was going to turn them into Prores via Resolve.

One option I'd like is to apply a LUT now so I don't necessarily have to do a full grade if I run out of time.

I can export from XF utility with a LUT applied. So what's best? Create a set of files with a LUT and without and run them both through Resolve; or create a master set of Prores files and then use them as the master rushes and then create dailys with a LUT applied?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Michael

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: C300 Cinema locked workflow
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:32:26 pm

I would not apply a LUT.

In my experience, the Canon Log space is really weird and can vary from shot to shot in terms of where exactly that gamma curve kicks in. Sometimes, the LUT isn't even a decent starting point.

That said, applying a bit of correction with the color board should get you in a decent enough realm for editorial.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:11:49 pm

I agree with Jeremy I wouldn't apply a LUT.

We are actually in the middle of a longer project shot on. C300 by different DP's and sometimes using Canon Log and sometimes not. Not applying a LUT hasn't been a problem for the editorial as Canon Log is kind of 'mild' and doesn't distract visually from the content when editing.

I don't even transcode to ProRes but just import the Canon files straight into FCP which just wraps them into Apple XDcam codec (at least that's what FCP says they are after import). I haven't done any CC yet, but tested the workflow and these files open in Resolve Lite just fine.

Best approach to grade Canon Log for me is to start with the Log type adjustments in Resolve. This way I get really nice dynamic control. Once the levels are right I switch to the normal 3 colour wheels and finalise the look.

Happy editing

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
Correction
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:45:29 pm

Sorry I just updated FCP and now it shows Canon XF codec all they way through.

I could swear it was Apple XDcam at least at some stage....

Sorry for the confusion :-)

Happy Editng

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:24:16 pm

[Michael Sanders] "One option I'd like is to apply a LUT now so I don't necessarily have to do a full grade if I run out of time."

FWIW - I've gotten really nice grades in X with Canon log on C300 clips, using just the Color Board. And you can copy & paste, so no real need for LUTs. Plus any Color Board adjustment is very "lightweight" and won't bog down the system performance.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]