FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.0.8 Update is Out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
T. Payton
10.0.8 Update is Out
on Mar 28, 2013 at 5:44:17 pm

Check your App Store. Stick to the FCP X update code. Zip up your old 10.0.7 App and don't update mid project.

Looks like mostly maintenance. Which frankly is a great thing. The flashing green render is in the release notes.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: 10.0.8 Update is Out
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:05:34 pm

ProRes Log C support is a great added feature!

Wonder if they support S-log from Sony / Canon cameras as well...

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:46:20 pm

It looks like this is indeed a maintenance release for just a few things. That nasty green frame being the biggest one.

At first glance
- launch times is better
- event browser is scrolling through multiple events quite smoothly
- keyboard commands for changing the appearance of the timeline (but for some reason clip height adjustment by keyboard is missing. Perhaps I just missed it.)

Hopefully there is a lot of little bug fixes that we will discover in the next few days.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:19:28 pm

Bigger than maintenance for me, had my F55 for 3 weeks now having to batch transcode XAVC in Resolve for weeks.

Also LogC LUTs automagically applied is big deal too.

Gonna see how well that 4K XAVC plays...!

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 28, 2013 at 8:42:33 pm

[Nate Weaver] "Gonna see how well that 4K XAVC plays...!"

You need an updated Sony plugin for it to work, which should be uploaded shortly according to Sony.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:11:28 pm

[Nate Weaver] "Also LogC LUTs automagically applied is big deal too."

Careful,

the Alexa LogC support seems to require the Camera's version 6.0 software or later. No Alexa media I have prior to that build is being seen by the app.

But on the other hand look at the Alexa Metadata it can read from the file in 10.0.8!

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:17:18 pm

The interesting thing is that this metadata is camera-specific based on Apple's camera import SDK. The Log Processing that's there is specific to Alexa files. I had a test event with several native formats and enabled the Log Processing button in my settings view in the Inspector. When I clicked on a C300 clip (Canon log), the button went away.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:28:39 pm

Seems a bit silly not to simply have a * log conversion as there are more than one manufacturer using log-mode while filming. That said, perhaps ALEXA Log C is the most common to use, it would be better with a plug-in / user editable solution.

I do find it frustrating that output via a video card still is sluggish in FCPX with the latest Apple hardware. Using an iMac 27" i7, 680MX, 32GB RAM and Fusion Drive with an BM Ultra Studio Mini Monitor and it's still lagging with 10.0.8. With lag i mean I hit play, there is a slight pause before playback begins. Turning off A/V Output removes this. Really feels like editing with rubber bands! Even having RGB Parade Scopes up with out A/V output has virtually zero lag (which should be far more resource intense IMO). This playback lag was never an issue in FCP7 even back in the days of G4's. I'm using ProRes 422 1080p25 media off an external SSD drive via USB 3.0.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:36:07 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "Seems a bit silly not to simply have a * log conversion as there are more than one manufacturer using log-mode while filming. That said, perhaps ALEXA Log C is the most common to use, it would be better with a plug-in / user editable solution."

Not silly at all. It's NOT a global setting put into place by Apple. This is based on the camera SDK from Apple. Each manufacturer exposes the info they choose. Both ARRI and RED have supplied lots of support. In the case of Alexa, the Log setting is embedded metadata from the camera into the QT file itself. FCP X reads that setting and turns on the processing. You have to enable the Log Processing button into the Setting View, if you want to turn it off. It is NOT a filter or LUT per se, but rather a manipulation of the color sync info, like automatic color balance. Except with ARRI's Log C curves.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:39:53 pm

So in theory the same could be applied to Sony och Canon footage?

Just did a grade in "good old" Color with Sony LogS and it was hard to find a LUT for it. That said it wasn't particularly hard getting a good grade with out it. For the editorial however a which in the app would be terrific.

That they still haven't come to terms with video output is a bit shocking though. PremierPro had issues but as of CS 6 that particular problem seems fixed even on older hardware.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:46:39 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "So in theory the same could be applied to Sony och Canon footage?"

Yes, but Sony or Canon have to supply the info.

[Erik Lindahl] "Just did a grade in "good old" Color with Sony LogS and it was hard to find a LUT for it. That said it wasn't particularly hard getting a good grade with out it. For the editorial however a which in the app would be terrific."

There are no real secrets to this. I grade Log C, S-Log and Canon log by eye all the time without LUTs. If you want a perfect match for what you saw on set, then using a LUT is the correct approach. But generally you go for a "better" look in grading and so getting there by eye is just as good if you know what you are doing. When I've used LUTs, it's really only for offline editing to reassure the client.

[Erik Lindahl] "That they still haven't come to terms with video output is a bit shocking though. "

I'm not sure what you mean. I run with a Decklink card and generally it's very responsive. There are some issues, but I think that's because the OS is handling the communication to the card and not the application specifically.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:03:45 pm

Regarding Log to Rec correction - good.

The video out problems I see now that have seen in every version of FCPX are:

1. Lag on play / pause.
I hit play and there is a delay of about 1 second before the clip actually plays back. This isn't an issue as long as I disable A/V output. This is both on a 2008 MacPro with a Kona 3 and SAS RAID-5 as well as a 2012 iMac 27" "maxed out" with a BM Ultra Studio.

2. Frame jumps.
When I hit pause with video A/V enabled there more or less always is a "frame jump". I.e. I pause on frame 10 where after maybe 0.5 seconds it jumps back to frame 9. I can verify if this issue is still on the MacPro / Kona system but it is on the iMac / BM.

Using PremierPro CS6 on the iMac I get zero delay and zero frame-jumping on the iMac. With or without hardware mercury playback enabled and with one three-way CC on the same media as used in FCPX. Hence technically it's fully possible.

I guess we'll have to wait for FCPX 10.1 or similar for a "new" A/V output engine or something.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:11:38 pm

I can add that I noticed the exact same issue with video out at the AJA booth during IBC last fall. They noted "you're not the first to comment that". I guess they where using 10.0.6 back then.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:15:34 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "I hit play and there is a delay of about 1 second before the clip actually plays back. "

Agreed. I see that, too. It seems better if you use JKL instead of the space bar. It seems to be worse with projects that crossed over version updates and were updated. With the Quadro 4000 installed, it is definitely worse than with the ATI 5870 on the machines I've tested.

[Erik Lindahl] "When I hit pause with video A/V enabled there more or less always is a "frame jump". I.e. I pause on frame 10 where after maybe 0.5 seconds it jumps back to frame 9."

Yes. I've seen that, too. Also skimming/scrubbing has terrible updating of the video output while you are doing that.

[Erik Lindahl] "Using PremierPro CS6 on the iMac I get zero delay and zero frame-jumping on the iMac. "

Agreed. However, I see other things with CS6 and the Decklink. For example, if your timeline has mixed codecs or sizes, the video card's output often displays a completely wonky aspect ratio on some clips. I frequently start a project and don't get any audio. Closing and re-launching fixes it.

So far (on the same Mac Pro and Decklink) I've had the best results with Media Composer 6.5.2. In general, the best I've seen with FCP X is a decked out, new iMac with a Promise RAID and the AJA IoXT.

It's quite possible some of this might be improved, now that 10.8.3 and 10.0.8 are out in the wild. Might take a bit for some driver updates to come out that may help.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:00:45 am

Yeah, 10.8.3 did some things to graphics drivers so maybe they fixed other underpinnings. Also it did take Adobe three releases to get decent video output (at least on the Mac). CS5 and 5.5 where shockingly poor via a video card. People tried to motivate why and such still not good enough IMO for a professional editor.

FCPX in it's current state is far better but still not great when using the video output. Skipping that makes it really responsive on the 2012 iMac. Might be better with an AJA IoXT - could try at some point.

Starting a new project, was going to use FCPX but now I'm not sure. Maybe I'll give PrPro another shot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:30:18 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The interesting thing is that this metadata is camera-specific based on Apple's camera import SDK. The Log Processing that's there is specific to Alexa files. I had a test event with several native formats and enabled the Log Processing button in my settings view in the Inspector. When I clicked on a C300 clip (Canon log), the button went away."

I wish there was a way to have it work like the "ColorSpace Override" drop down in which you could choose a transform LUT.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:05:14 pm

FYI, I had a bunch of Arri test clips, I think from Blackmagic for the sample footage for Resolve. I reimported 8 of them and just one gave the Log option. Here is what the option looks like:

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 28, 2013 at 10:19:27 pm

I had to actually go into the "edit metadata" panel and add the Log Processing button to the Settings view. The processing was occurring automatically, so this button lets you toggle it off/on. I think it is also dependent on the camera firmware used when the files were originally recorded, since it's looking for embedded metadata.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 12:35:13 am

[Oliver Peters] "I had to actually go into the "edit metadata" panel and add the Log Processing button to the Settings view. The processing was occurring automatically, so this button lets you toggle it off/on. I think it is also dependent on the camera firmware used when the files were originally recorded, since it's looking for embedded metadata."

I added it to my custom "Arri" view and put it on top.

I wish you could assign kb shortcuts to metadata views.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Mar 29, 2013 at 2:49:23 am

I have a gift certificate for anybody who can figure out a way to enable this for Sony S-Log2 footage.

I'm very, very bummed that the way it's implemented is to be footage-agnostic, codec agnostic but in practice it's locked out even to advanced users.

I use the Alexa Log-C LUTs all the time on S-Log2 footage. It's a little too extreme most of the time, but I know how to take care of that.

Nate Weaver

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:10:29 am

[Nate Weaver] "I have a gift certificate for anybody who can figure out a way to enable this for Sony S-Log2 footage."

Someone really just needs to make a plug-in that allows arbitrary LUTs in common formats (.cube, etc.) to be applied to clips. Or, better yet, this should just be built-in. I'm a little baffled that none of the major NLEs supports this yet. Why should everything have to be special-cased?

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 29, 2013 at 10:12:13 pm

The PixelConduit plugin has a node for loading a LUT. I don't know what format it reads though. I used it a while back to make an FCPX filter that applied the Technicolor Cinestyle LUT to my Canon 7D footage.

It's a free plugin so worth taking a look to see if it will work for you.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:00:21 pm

Okay, I am halfway to figuring out a hack for this.

IF you can externally add the following metadata fields to the QT file:

Arri Color Gamma SxS: LOG-C
Arri Look File Burned In: No

Then FCPX will allow you to turn on the Log Processing field and Bob's your uncle.

I did the metadata editing in QT Edit from the Pro Media Tools suite for one file, but I can do a batch edit.

Does anybody know a program that can do batch QT metadata editing? Or, better yet, force FCPX to allow me to add those reserved Arri fields to any old QT file?

Nate Weaver

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:08:36 pm

Nice work.

[Nate Weaver] "Does anybody know a program that can do batch QT metadata editing? Or, better yet, force FCPX to allow me to add those reserved Arri fields to any old QT file?"

Ping Digital Rebellion, I am sure he would hear a request to make it a Quick Task for the Batch function of QT Edit.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]