FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shuffling shots between compound clips.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Manno
Shuffling shots between compound clips.
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:44:00 am

I have a few compound clips on my timeline.. SOme on main storyline and others as connected clips.

Is there a quick workflow to cut and paste shots contained within one compound clip to another?

I'm just opening the compound clip, cutting a few clips out, closing the compound clip, opening the other compound clip, pasting the shots, closing it again to go back to my main edit project.

Is this about the only way to do it?

-Frankie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Shuffling shots between compound clips.
on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:24:00 am

That is one way. You can use command-[ and command-] to navigate back and forth between open timelines.

Compound clips are also clips in your Event Browser.

You can keep your Project open, skim compounds, set ins and outs, and add parts of them, then break them apart as necessary.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Shuffling shots between compound clips.
on Mar 28, 2013 at 4:27:21 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Compound clips are also clips in your Event Browser. "

Just to expand on this - I think it's really difficult for those used to working nearly exclusively in a timeline system to understand this.

Compound clips in X are really interesting. They're typically born on the timeline - but at the moment you compound them - they're reflected back to the Event Browser. So there's a sorta "round-trip" data flow established with a compound clip that you need to get your head around.

But one cool thing about then is what Jeremy is noting. If you think of your event browser as the shelves where you store your timeline's parts - and compounds as assemblies that you build from those parts inside the timeline - then copying parts from one finished product to another is more complicated than just grabbing s clone off the shelf and making changes to it.

More of that "new thinking" in X we're always talking about.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]