FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace Edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russ Haskell
Replace Edit
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:07:26 pm

The Replace from Start and End Edit options aren't working the way I would expect.

According to the manual, the duration of both options is determined by the length of the TL clip (the one that's being replaced). But I find this to be so only if the event clip is longer than the TL clip. If it's shorter, the new edit instead takes on the duration of the source clip and the whole sequence ripples.

Am I just mis-reading the manual about how this is supposed to work?

Russ Haskell

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Replace Edit
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:30:40 pm

What is it that you're expecting to happen?

Does this Larry Jordan article answer your question?

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Mar 26, 2013 at 8:31:40 pm

Thanks.

I was expecting that if I replaced a 5 second clip with a 3 second clip and chose Replace form Start, it would respect the in points of both the old and the new clips and I would essentially get an over-write edit for 3 seconds from the head and have two seconds of the tail remaining from the "old" clip. (And with similar results from choosing Replace from End except the edit would begin from the out points of both clips.

That understanding was based on the manual saying that both options used the length of the TL clip in determining the duration of the edit. But after reading Larry's article, I guess the answer to my question is simply I am not reading the manual correctly.

Russ Haskell

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:14:16 pm

[Russ Haskell] "and I would essentially get an over-write edit for 3 seconds from the head and have two seconds of the tail remaining from the "old" clip."

Ahh, well you want use overwrite edit for that. Place the playhead at the inpoint of the TL clip, select the new clip (or range) in the Event Bowser, press D.

[Russ Haskell] " (And with similar results from choosing Replace from End except the edit would begin from the out points of both clips."

Same as above but playhead at out point and Shift-D. You can customize video and/or audio only shortcuts as well.

[Russ Haskell] "That understanding was based on the manual saying that both options used the length of the TL clip in determining the duration of the edit. But after reading Larry's article, I guess the answer to my question is simply I am not reading the manual correctly."

Yeah, I think what was confusing you was the "use duration of event clip" part. It will use the available handles beyond your range selection to fill in the the exact duration of the clip being replaced. So that the duration of your timeline does not change. If your Event clip is shorter, it ripples. Replace edit is going to "replace" the entire TL clip, overwrite will (can) leave some of it.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:33:19 pm

[Russ Haskell] "Am I just mis-reading the manual about how this is supposed to work?
"

Just tried replacing a 2 second TL clip with a 19f event selection. The short clip was extended to fill the 2 sec TL clip space, no rippling. Not sure why this would happen...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:40:40 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Not sure why this would happen..."

Try replace from start with an entire clip from the event browser (not a range selection) which is shorter in duration than the timeline clip. You get the "not enough media" warning pop up, unless "do not show again" had previously been ticked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]