FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Cross Dissolve not working properly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig flood
FCPX Cross Dissolve not working properly
on Mar 26, 2013 at 5:31:52 pm

I'm having a problem with a cross dissolve in FCPX.

One of the last clips in the film is a PNG file and I've added a Cross Dissolve to it on both ends. The CD at the beginning works fine. The one at the end doesn't work. It begins to fade the png file out and about 3/4 of the way through the fade it spikes back up and brings the PNG back onto the screen.

Below is a link to an example. You will see it happen with my logo at 4min 24sec in the film.

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/62649139
Password: hcti

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: FCPX Cross Dissolve not working properly
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:10:45 pm

Try adding a short gap clip to the end so the cross dissolve is going between the logo and gap clip (hit the end key then option-W). Trim the gap clip so your project has 2-3 frames of black at the end.

Does it fade out correctly now?

Return to posts index

craig flood
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:36:38 pm

It still does it. It jumps up right at the end.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:52:30 pm

Hmm, is the logo in a compound clip? In the primary or as connected clip?

Return to posts index

craig flood
on Mar 26, 2013 at 8:49:37 pm

Its above the story line and is a compound clip. You can see it in the picture as the highlighted item.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:21:46 pm

From within the compound clip, does the logo have handles extending beyond the outpoint of the compound clip? Does the logo itself have a cross dissolve inside of the compound clip?

I think I've seen this before but can't put my finger on it. What version FCP and OS X are you running?

Return to posts index

craig flood
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:30:37 pm

From within the compound clip, does the logo have handles extending beyond the outpoint of the compound clip? Not sure what you mean by this.

Does the logo itself have a cross dissolve inside of the compound clip? I'm sorry, its not a compound clip. Its just a "storyline" above the story line. If that makes sense. But it has not been created into a compound clip, I can't not open it up in another timeline as such to examine it and work on it.

What version FCP and OS X are you running? FPCX 10.0.7 Os X 10.8.3

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:53:07 pm

[craig flood] "Not sure what you mean by this."

[craig flood] "I'm sorry, its not a compound clip. Its just a "storyline" above the story line. If that makes sense. But it has not been created into a compound clip, I can't not open it up in another timeline as such to examine it and work on it."

OK, a secondary storyline. I'm unable to reproduce the problem your having. What if you delete just the troublesome logo from the timeline, then edit it back to the timeline from the event browser, add transitions and render it. Maybe its a bad render file.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:59:37 pm

Well, this reproduces the LOOK of your problem when played back. Looking at your screenshot it doesn't look like this is whats going on in your timeline though-

Return to posts index

craig flood
on Mar 26, 2013 at 10:17:09 pm

Yep, my timeline doesn't look like that. Not sure how to fix this one.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Mar 26, 2013 at 10:45:56 pm

Have you tried just key framing the opacity of the logo from 100% to 0% over the time you want it to fade?

Easiest way when you just want a fade in or out.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]