FORUMS: list search recent posts

Roles appear and disappear

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bayliss-Smith
Roles appear and disappear
on Mar 26, 2013 at 5:06:37 am

I often assign roles to media. I have ones called "VO and Intv" Sometimes they are available sometimes not. What is going on here? Are they somehow attached to events or projects? Is this a bug? I don't think it's related to preferences or is it? (i.e trashing preferences would get rid of saved roles)

Any ideas

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Roles appear and disappear
on Mar 26, 2013 at 10:01:50 am

You have to have your timeline view set to "view roles". If you do not it will not display roles.

David

http://www.davidbattistella.com

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Mar 26, 2013 at 11:11:09 am

Hi David,

What I mean is that when I select a clip and assign roles only the default ones show i.e dialogue and effects and video. The ones I have previously created do not appear. I have to create them a gain using the custrom role dialogue. Then a week later I'll assign roles and they are saved then they are not. it sems random, why does fcpX not save the roles I have used. (it appears to but I can't work out why they only appear sometimes)

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:04:27 pm

Ah.

I have not seen this. When a role is assigned it should stick.

David

http://www.davidbattistella.com

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:12:48 pm

Yes the roles that appear in the interface are attached to any roles that are used in open events and projects. If you close and remove all projects and relaunch the app, you'll find that you are back to just the built ins.

This is good news if you use a standardized set of additional roles. We are in a multiuser environment where we like roles to be consistent for export to audio and for familiarity when projects are "shared".

The way we control this is by making an event with a placeholder bars and tone clip or clips inside... The clips we made in fcp7 with the bars generator and like 16 tracks of audio. We imported those into fcpx and assigned roles to each channel of audio and video (for example we made a video role called GFX which would be different than the standard "Titles" that is built in. Next we export an fcpxml of that event and save it in a central location on the san (network).

So we have different standard roles for different workflows. Whenever a user starts a new project, the first step is to import the graphics template that is pre-rolled and the roles template into their san location.

This is working well. It also gives you some ability to save a new version of the template to only affect things moving forward.

Keith

Keith Koby
Sr. Director Post-Production Engineering
iNDEMAND
Howard TV!/Movies On Demand/iNDEMAND Pay-Per-View/iNDEMAND 3D

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:55:04 pm

Keith-

Your post should be bronzed and put up on a plaque.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 26, 2013 at 5:02:41 pm

Ha! Well - I have a great group of people here that are helping me figure that stuff out.

Anyway, besides being consistent for consistency sake and audio x2pro sake, it also helps out considerably for saved preset exporting. If everyone uses the same roles and actually labels appropriately, then your export presets for exporting multitrack QT by roles should work when you open someone else's project.

I thought for a minute that it would've been better if they had kept the roles in a pref file that we could distribute, but I'm liking this method better now.

Keith

Keith Koby
iNDEMAND

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2013 at 5:22:29 pm

[Keith Koby] "I thought for a minute that it would've been better if they had kept the roles in a pref file that we could distribute, but I'm liking this method better now."

Yes, I hear that. It took me a little while to get used to it, and as you sort of mention, an Event or Project can act like a preference file of sorts. ;)

Recently, I had a Project that had over 25 Roles, and to have to sort through all of those when I don't need them would be tedious, especially when the Project and Event archive is ever growing. So, I can dismount the SAN Location and away go the Roles. Load it back up again, and they return.

It would be nice to be able to assign Roles to clips in the import window.

I find that the earlier I assign Roles, the more it helps me down the line, even if the Role isn't the exact correct Role, it's better than having everything assigned the default.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 27, 2013 at 2:02:27 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It would be nice to be able to assign Roles to clips in the import window.

I find that the earlier I assign Roles, the more it helps me down the line, even if the Role isn't the exact correct Role, it's better than having everything assigned the default."

That is an excellent suggestion. It's not difficult to assign roles, but I wish it were easier.

We are looking for a tool that would do this outside of fcpx and deliver via xml. I've asked MAM developers if they will include such a tool in the mam. I've also asked tape ingest tool developers if they could make something to that effect. For example VTR exchange gives you an fcpxml of the batch capture...

Keith Koby
iNDEMAND

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:33:14 pm

[Keith Koby] "We are looking for a tool that would do this outside of fcpx and deliver via xml. I've asked MAM developers if they will include such a tool in the mam. I've also asked tape ingest tool developers if they could make something to that effect. For example VTR exchange gives you an fcpxml of the batch capture..."

To the future! *clink*

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
Re: oles appear and disappear
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:08:42 am

Thanks guys. I agree it would be nice if one could assign roles upon ingest. Also I think when one creates a custom role one should have the Orion to save for all projects/events or just open ones. I'm continually creating the same role, I work in news so edits always the same

Thanks for your advice

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]