FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best timeline workflow please?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Manno
Best timeline workflow please?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 7:41:39 am

Hi everyone,

I have 10 groups of clips (mini stories) on my timeline seperated by a gap clip. Some of these groups of clips contain connected clips as B roll as well..

Each group of clips consists of approx 4-10 actual clips making up the group.

I'm going to use these mini stories in my main edit which I'm about to start... So I'm going to start a new edit and need to bring these mini stories in and then make further adjustements once in my final edit project.

The question is, should I just leave these mini stories as they are (in a seperate project)? Or should I be making each of them a compound clips?

Originally I wanted to make each mini story a keyword collection but couldn't due to them having connected clips..

So other than 1. Leaving them as they are is in a project, each seperated by a gap clip or 2. Creating a compound clip, is there any other real workflow for what I want to do?

If I am to create a compound clip, would I then create a keyword for each of these 10 compound clip naming each one for what it is?

I'm worried that creating compound clips followed by keywords for them might start cluttering things up.. Will it?

I know that ultimately it doesn't really matter and that workflow is a personal choice, but I'm just wondering how you'd approach what I am trying to do.

Whats the best and easiest way to work in a scenario like this?

-Frank

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: Best timeline workflow please?
on Mar 25, 2013 at 3:44:38 pm

I prefer not having a proliferation of project files. So my inclination would be to make them compound clips and keyword them as "mini stories" or such in it's own event are the event in which you have all the source material. There is really nothing different about a compound clip in an event and a project file. And putting them in an event will prevent you from having to go back and forth between project files.

Return to posts index

Frank Manno
Re: Best timeline workflow please?
on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:37:49 am

Hi Brett thanks for the response..

I see what you mean about always having to go back to the project file. Could be a pain highlihgting a bunch of clips, copy / past etc.

Lets say I make all these mini stories compound clips but then once in my main timeline I had to do a lot of 'intercutting' between these compound clips and shuffle shots around between them. Would that be easy to do?

If I don't make compound clips and just copy / past mini stories onto my main final timeline, I could easily intercut between them by just shuffling the clps around from one mini story to another..

How difficult would it be to have a few compound clips on my final timelinee and then swap/ shuffle some shots from one compound clp to another? Is there an easy workflow for this?

I mean it woul dbe easy enough to shuffle clips around within the same compound clip but whan about between multiple compound clips?

-Frankie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]