FORUMS: list search recent posts

Imac and FCPX slooooooow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Ferraro
Imac and FCPX slooooooow
on Mar 24, 2013 at 5:13:27 am

I tried to make a 30 secs simple ad with preset build in moving characters and some moving background plugins and this has been a nightmare, slow to desperation, stopping at times, something that can be done in one hour, took six. I got an Imac late 2012, Quad 3.4, 16gb Ram and 2GB graphics, ext hdd USB 3.0 raid.. I uninstalled FCPX and downloaded again but there is no significant improvement. I shut down the back rendering to do it in the end but the rendering is ridiculosly low, with just 2 or 3 layers of video in 30 secs?
Any hint?, something that can be tried?
Thanks

Imac 27 Quad 3.4, 16GB Ram, 2GB Graphics, 6GB USB3.0 & Esata Raids
http://www.birdsaustralia.net
http://www.ferrarovideos.net

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Imac and FCPX slooooooow
on Mar 24, 2013 at 6:08:15 am

people have reported some weirdness withe certain preset titles on new iMac's with 680 GPU's, which I think you have. Apple supposedly aware and fixing it... See if there's a drop shadow turned on in the video or text inspector and turn it off. You may be experiencing something different, but doing this solved a title render/playback problem I was having on the same iMac. And don't use the "pixie dust" preset. I don't know why anyone would, lol, but it's really messed up...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Carlo Ferraro
on Apr 2, 2013 at 1:44:08 am

Charlie:
You were right.....the new FCPX version 8 corrected the problem......no need to do any more tricks suggested.
Carlo

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 24, 2013 at 6:58:48 am

Are you doing any footage processing in the background, like optimizing or creating proxy? Are you working at a frame rate or resolution different from your source media? USB 3 should be pretty speedy, but which USB 3 drive are you using? Are you using any 3rd party plugins aside from the build in title? Which title exactly are you using?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Carlo Ferraro
on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:35:24 am

Are you doing any footage processing in the background, like optimizing or creating proxy?
No
Are you working at a frame rate or resolution different from your source media?
No footage, working in 50i
USB 3 should be pretty speedy, but which USB 3 drive are you using?
Raid Buffalo 6TB
Not taking any material from usb3 drive, rendering to it
Are you using any 3rd party plugins aside from the build in title?
Yes
Which title exactly are you using?
Reelpath Star Wizard

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:53:19 am

Well, the areas I'd look at are the third party plugins and also confirm that the buffalo drives are working correctly. Some reviewers on Amazon haven't had the best of luck with it, drives have died, etc.

Generally I avoid all 3rd party plugins in FCPX unless they are absolutely necessary. The variables involved in maintaining them can be annoying. For example, you may have an older version of the plugin that doesn't work well with 10.0.7, or perhaps your plugin is newer than the version of X you're running.

You can make a starfield in Motion - just digging on youtube I found this:

Try working without the starfield plugin. Disable the layer or just delete it entirely. Apple doesn't make that plugin so they can't QC it.

Good luck and let us know if that was the problem.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2013 at 6:05:02 pm

[Carlo Ferraro] "No footage, working in 50i"

Whenever someone mentions that they're working not with video, but perhaps with graphics, it sends up a red flag to me.

Sometimes, graphics - particularly large ones - can slow X to a grind. I believe that's because while it's trivial to CREATE a graphic with lots of resolution today - when you import that same graphic into a program that works with calculating motion and change over time - they can create monstrous calculation loads for program like X which is built to do precision math and not shortcut the rendering quality of what you toss into it.

I'm very careful these days to look at the ACTUAL resolution needs of the graphics and photos I import to X and to make sure I create a file that's no bigger than necessary before import.

Largely because if I toss something like a 20 megapixel still and decide to float it around - X will take me very seriously and try to calculate the positions of ALL those pixels moving around over time.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 24, 2013 at 6:15:48 pm

That's a good strategy, Bill. Generally speaking, we prefer to do any graphical and compositing work outside of X other than basic titles. That said, we're not running into sluggishness when using After Effects rendered graphics with alpha channels as Generators in X. In fact, that is turning into an awesome trick that we'll be showing off at some point in my little blog here.

Example: You have a sponsor logo that needs to be incorporated with a networks graphic package that normally would be done in After Effects.
Now though, we apply an effect or generator to the raw jpg or psd of the sponsor logo in a timeline and it builds it correctly into the network graphic. The guys at work showed this to me Friday (God bless them for experimenting with it when I had two days off) and it is awesome.

I talked a little bit about it in the presentation for Melrose Mac a few weeks ago. Hopefully we should have that online in a day or two.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:24:55 pm

[John Davidson] "That's a good strategy, Bill. Generally speaking, we prefer to do any graphical and compositing work outside of X other than basic titles. That said, we're not running into sluggishness when using After Effects rendered graphics with alpha channels as Generators in X. In fact, that is turning into an awesome trick that we'll be showing off at some point in my little blog here. "

That makes sense. When any user understands source raster issues, it's easy to stop some of the OP's troubles (If I'm reading his post correctly) before it becomes an issue.

What I see more is that folks try to import MONSTOR JPEGs generated by, perhaps a modern DSLR - or a similar very hi-rez unflattened or uncompressed file generated out of a graphics package - and just PLOP that onto an X timeline and try to work with it.

X will "take in" the file. But under the hood, it's going to try to calculate everything based on megapixels of data - often when the screen presentation needed is actually orders of magnitude smaller.

I've seen situations where someone creates a composite made up of 10 pictures scaled to 1 inch by 2 inches - but underlying EACH is a 22.5. megapixel DLSR still!

Ask X to fly those around and composite them (probably with transparency!) and the math load will be crushing for any program, particularly one like X, that was built to allow the import and management of very high rez files.

BTW, looking forward very much to your report on graphics import - It's great having shops like yours pushing X and discovering new "best practices."

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:15:33 am

I know it's unscientific, but for the heck of it I just grabbed 10 t4i (18 megapixels) photos out of iPhoto and laid them out in a grid. I gave them each a move across the screen at the same time. When set to better performance, my iMac didn't even drop a frame during 1080i playback unrendered. So I gave them all transparency. X still had no problem.

This is all on a mid 2011 iMac with 16gigs of RAM and decked out graphics card. The iPhoto files are playing off a FW800 drive.

Don't know what that means, but it's not far off from the situation you give. Give X more credit!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 27, 2013 at 6:59:34 pm

[Bret Williams] "Don't know what that means, but it's not far off from the situation you give. Give X more credit!"

Interesting.

If I wasn't getting ready for NAB and swamped, I'd try it on my pre-thunderbolt laptop and on my older MacPro. It would be interesting to see if it's something X leverages off the newer chips and/or GPUs.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:46:56 am

I know it's obvious but is playback quality set to "better performance"

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 24, 2013 at 3:57:11 pm

Seems like time machine can really slow stuff down as well.

Open up the activity monitor and see what is going on wit the cores and memory.

David

http://www.davidbattistella.com

Return to posts index

Carlo Ferraro
on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:16:09 pm

When it does not stop it shows around 120 % use of CPU (80 plus idle) and 12GB free memory

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:43:01 pm

Maybe you should copy and paste all your work into a new project or comp, depending on which workflow you're using and see if that helps.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 25, 2013 at 5:17:20 am

And possibly duplicate the project and event onto the iMac local drive to see if there's a problem with the raid.

Return to posts index

Jonas Bengtsson
on Mar 25, 2013 at 7:01:35 am

Your RAID, what hard drives are in it?

I hade a similar problem, Mac osx software RAID0 - 4xWD Caviar Green xTB

WD Caviar Green is very good singel hard drive but in a RAID configuration it can create disatrous results.
Its the varriable 5400-7200 rpm disc speed that is problem.

Return to posts index

Mike Kelland
on Mar 25, 2013 at 7:12:59 am

Was having slowdown issues with my Mac Pro. Restarting fcpx helped a little but the real fix was closing the inspector. Night and day difference - it's quick again.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:11:52 am

You're right! I wasn't having slowdowns per se, but I was making lots of changes in the inspector to the audio, so with the audio inspector open things weren't so snappy clicking around. I think with each click the inspector had to update the info it's displaying, or cache it before it starts playing because it follows along with the audio pans and levels. Closing the inspector and it becomes much snappier.

Return to posts index

Mike Kelland
on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:42:50 am

Yeah, because the inspector (and other parts of the program) are live and dynamically linked all the time it seems to slow things down. Mind you I'm on a Mac Pro 3,1 so it might not be an issue with new iMacs and MacBooks...? Even with the inspector closed it's not snappy like FCP classic or AVID. This is a bit of a deal breaker for me at the moment, but still enjoying learning the program. Some of the stuff in there is simply awesome. Worst thing is trying to use my tablet (I use it in 'pen' mapping not 'mouse') - almost unusable in the Event Browser. It was obviously designed by mouse users :)

Return to posts index

Jef Harris
on Mar 27, 2013 at 1:08:59 pm

This worked perfect! Don't use the inspector unless you absolutely need to.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 27, 2013 at 6:15:05 pm

One other trick that helps me and is similar to closing the Inspector, is to go down to the timeline view menu (light switch) on bottom right and select the far right view which doesn't display any icons at all (blue bar). This greatly speeds up the timeline re-draws. And as suggested for the Inspector, I just change the view back when I need to see the audio waveforms.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]