FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to do split screen while adding additional musician tracks?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Miller
how to do split screen while adding additional musician tracks?
on Mar 23, 2013 at 3:25:19 pm

Hi folks,
I'm working with 2 musicians who want to create a short video in which they start with a split screen of them each playing one instrument, then continue splitting the screens as they play additional instruments on the same piece--effectively accompanying themselves so that we'll end up with 12 small screens and one master audio. I was going to use Crumplepop Split Screen for the screen splits, but I'm puzzled about how to sync audio with video for this--since each split will add additional audio (the new instruments). Happy to elaborate---not sure if I'm being clear about this. I'll be doing the shooting myself, and recording a master audio separately.
Thanks.
Ken

Return to posts index

T. Payton
Re: how to do split screen while adding additional musician tracks?
on Mar 23, 2013 at 8:53:12 pm

This sounds like a great concept. I'll give this a quick shot on how I would do it.

So are you going to lock down the master audio first? If so
- Treat it as a 16 camera multicam shoot.
- All camera angles will have the same reference audio so they should create a multicam clip in FCP X without a problem
- Edit using multicam clips "stacked" in your timeline with split screen effects. Assigning or switching video as needed.
- Color correct the video in the angle editor

If you are NOT going to lock down the master audio first, then

- Start in your DAW and export each of the 16 instruments as separate tracks all the full length of the song.
- Export a FULL MIX with all instruments the full length of the song.
- When you shoot the Video use the FULL MIX for reference for each of the 16 angles.
- in FCPX you will create a 32 angle multicam clip. 16 audio tracks from your DAW and 16 video angles.
- Set your Video angles like V1 through V16 and then your DAW audio tracks DAW1 through DAW16. Or you could let it create angles automatically based on the clip names. The 16 DAW audio angles should sync to the to the FULL MIX as part of the video angels. But you might have to tweak those manually.
- Edit as multi cam stacked with split screen effects just like above, but now you will assign the video and audio angles as necessary.
- Color Correct each angle in your master multiclip

Note: I think you might need some more flexibility with animation on the split screen so you might want to check out one that is part of FXFactory, called Tokyo Split Animator at http://tokyo-uk.com/fcpxeffects/splitanimator.html

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Mar 23, 2013 at 9:17:38 pm

The metronome will be your friend when you want to line these tracks up.

I would ask the musicians to use a count in and start from the head of the track each time and record the longest pieces first.

This way you can line up each take on the last beat of the count in and then use any number of tools, including the built in ones to shrink the video to where it needs to be.

David

http://www.davidbattistella.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:06:46 pm

These are all good approaches.

If I understand the OP's task properly, he'll be looking at a series of clips that each start a bit later in time - and his goal is to ADD video and audio scenes as the piece progresses - all while keeping the music sync intact.

What I'd do is to consider a "first measure" approach. Break out the score (or just diagram the song) and note the first measure where each new performance enters. Give those simple ID tags. (literally 001 - 999 would do just fine)

Shoot the pieces. Bring them into X and drop them into a new Event Browser. Apply the matching ID tags and sort by ID.

At this point you can choose to sync and compound any double system audio if you're working that way.

Then you can bring your FIRST clip into a project. Park your playhead on the sync measure of each point in the song when the next performance comes in and just hit Q to add it as a connected clip.

Then you can just work each track deciding on how you want to position or composite it on screen.

Should be a pretty easy process with X - and I don't see the advantage of working in multicam since you're essentially trying to create many composites more than you're trying to arrange scenes sequentially.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ken Miller
on Mar 25, 2013 at 2:14:27 am

Thanks for the great replies.

My goal is to use the audiwave in FCP X bc it's just much easier. A challenge is that musicians often play with headphones, so the camera would only hear the new instrument while the musician hears the evolving master through the head phones--unless the master audio is also playing out loud. If not, it would make it tough to do audiowave sync in FCPX, I think, because the clip of, say, the sax would try to sync with the master, which at that point would also have all the instruments that came before the sax. I'm guessing FCPX would get confused at that point. However, if headphones aren't used, or the master audio can also play out loud while each new instrument is being recorded, then each video clip will have the full master audio as well, which should make syncing easier. I'm thinking of this sequence:

1) Shoot the first instrument all the way through, video with on-camera audio (shooting with Panasonic HPX 170) and separate high quality (master) audio.
2) Shoot 2nd instrument playing to master audio, starting a few measures later, and also recording on master audio.
3) Shoot 3rd instrument playing to master audio, starting a few measures later, and also recording on master audio.
4) Etc...

I agree with Bill, this may not necessitate a multicam approach, but rather a series of stacked video segments all synced to the same master audio. I could either manually resize each to fit the screen with the other clips, or use a program like Tokyo Split (thanks for the suggestion--looks like a great plug-in). FCP should be able to sync up at the video of least the start of each new instrument segment to the master audio.

Again, thanks for the quick and thoughtful replies. Will let you know how it goes.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 25, 2013 at 2:12:59 pm

[Ken Miller] " A challenge is that musicians often play with headphones, so the camera would only hear the new instrument while the musician hears the evolving master through the head phones--unless the master audio is also playing out loud. If not, it would make it tough to do audiowave sync in FCPX, I think, because the clip of, say, the sax would try to sync with the master, which at that point would also have all the instruments that came before the sax. I'm guessing FCPX would get confused at that point. However, if headphones aren't used, or the master audio can also play out loud while each new instrument is being recorded, then each video clip will have the full master audio as well, which should make syncing easier."

How about splitting the audio going into your camera. Your headphone mix on one channel and then an external mic in another. FCP will be able to grab the first part of the headphone mix audio to sync.

[Ken Miller] "I agree with Bill, this may not necessitate a multicam approach, but rather a series of stacked video segments all synced to the same master audio."

Bill knows his stuff that is for sure. I'm just mulicam happy. ;)

You could sync all the audio and video clips together in a synchronized clip then just open it up and copy and paste it into a project.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:04:14 pm

[T. Payton] "You could sync all the audio and video clips together in a synchronized clip then just open it up and copy and paste it into a project."

That would be fun to try!

This thread is starting to remind me of one of my favorite quotes - "When the tool you're holding is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail" (unfortunately I have no clue who originally said it when I saw it about 10 years ago in a signature on an internet post in passing!)

But it's proven true in my experience, time and time again!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Mar 27, 2013 at 7:25:27 pm

Bill,

Funny you should say that. This is what is hanging in our office right next to our shrine of outdated technology to remind us that everything technology we think is cool will someday be headed for the trash.

We are a branding company so we do all sorts of projects... but most of all of them seem to improve with some DSLR shot video ;)

(Zip Disk, DVCPRO, DVD, VHS, Floppy)

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 28, 2013 at 9:54:50 pm

Now that's just beautiful.

We should do a series of T-shirts substituting the DSLR with a Red, Alexia, GoPro, etc...

and change the tagline to.

"The right tool changes everything."

I bet we could sell a zillion at NAB.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]